DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to stop some of the archiver processes?

I'm running 8i on Solaris 2.8. One one of the instances I have started the archiving and notice there are three archiver processes running and only one seem to dump the archive files to the arch directory. I presume it was archiver process#1, b'cos arch_1_####.

Now my question is how do I know where the other two processes are dumping the files if they were supposed to, b'cos I haven't specified the dest 1-x in my init.ora file.

So what caused these other processes to start and how do I go about finding what is doing what and where?

Though my init.ora set up is
    log_archive_start = true
    log_archive_dest = /usr/local/oracle/app/oracle/admin/active/arch
    log_archive_format = arch_%t_%s.arc

what caused the arc1 and arc2 to start and why arc1 is dumping the files in the arch destination instead of arc0.

Any idea/thoughts?????

Sam

Cool what is?

what is the parameter set at for:
    log_archive_duplex_dest??

arc0, arc1 and arc2 are your 3 arch processes. Archiving will only take place in the destination specified in the init.ora.

o.K my log-archive_duplex_dest is null and my question here is why does oracle has to start the arc1 and arc2 processes when i haven't specified the destination for 1 and 2. Why not just arc0.

What is causing this?

Sam

It doesn't work that way. If you set arch processes to 3, it starts arch0, 1 and 2 upon startup of the db, irrespective of the # arch destinations. You can have 5 arch processes but only 1 arch destination, or have say, 1 arch process with 5 arch destinations.

That is correct. But in my case I have set

log_archive_max_processes = 1 log_archive_min_succeed_dest = 1

So what is puzzling to me is "what had caused the rest of the two processes to kick in?"

Thanx,
    Sam