DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What happens if all RAC nodes panic?

Question What happens if all RAC nodes panic?

Can anybody explain what's going to happen, if for some reason all nodes in the cluster suddenly cannot talk/see each other(say network issue), but the quorum disk is still accesible to all nodes.

Who will assume the role of the master node? What's going to happen to the other nodes?

I believe that's a "split brain". Search on asktom / google. Your hardware ought to take care of such things.

Re: What happens if all RAC nodes panic?

Originally posted by edsperez
    Can anybody explain what's going to happen, if for some reason all nodes in the cluster suddenly cannot talk/see each other(say network issue), but the quorum disk is still accesible to all nodes.

Who will assume the role of the master node? What's going to happen to the other nodes?
    that's why you use a switch for the interconnect and not a cross over cable
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Off the top of my head, maybe worth checking this:

The first server to realise it cannot talk to the other nodes will make a 'dash' for the quorum file and lock out the other servers from accessing the file. The other servers once they realise they cannot talk to the other will also make that dask to grab the quorom file. Once they realise its locked, they will shutdown abort to preserve data integrity. In your scenario, one node will remain up.

The other nodes have to shutdown if you think about it, otherwise data integrity, consistency is compromised.

Bazza

Thumbs up

Thanks Bazza, Your answer confirms my research. They termed it 'suicide', when other nodes cannot talk to other nodes, what they'll do is they try to grab possesion of the quorum disk, if it is already locked by the other node, they'll commit 'suicide'