DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need help writing a procedure

Need help writing a procedure

Hello all. I am not too good at writing pl/sql and have a bunch of books in front of me that are only useful for beating my head against.

I am trying to write a procedure that variables can be passed through it to a query that then selects into another table. So far no luck.

Can anyone post some kind of sample ddl for this. I know it can not be that difficult.
    Steven
    soestx@aol.com
    OCP DBA 8, 8i; MCDBA; MCSE

Re: Need help writing a procedure

Originally posted by soestx
    Hello all. I am not too good at writing pl/sql and have a bunch of books in front of me that are only useful for beating my head against.

I am trying to write a procedure that variables can be passed through it to a query that then selects into another table. So far no luck.

Can anyone post some kind of sample ddl for this. I know it can not be that difficult.
    You know you are going to get hassled for putting your certifications in your signiture and asking a question like this.

Do you know what table you want to update and or insert data into? Do you have a fixed set of columns that you want to update or insert? Or are you trying to create a generic procedure for insert updating data in any table?

I am going to assume that you are looking for a generic procedure that will operate against any table. If so you may want to pass the column names and data using xml. You might also want this to be a package so that you can interrogate the table, find the columns involved and generate your dataset. Perhaps, a little more clarification is in order. What are you really trying to do?