DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle upgrade - Best approach ?

Hybrid View

Oracle upgrade - Best approach ?

I have rarely upgraded the existing installation. In most cases I have simply installed the latest version and moved the data across. Because I have also moved around frequently I have not needed to perform many upgrades. There are several methods for upgrading that I am aware of.

What is considered to be the best practice when upgrading the Oracle Database and perhaps even Oracle Applications?

Thanks

Re: Oracle upgrade - Best approach ?

Originally posted by roadwarriorDBA
    I have rarely upgraded the existing installation. In most cases I have simply installed the latest version and moved the data across. Because I have also moved around frequently I have not needed to perform many upgrades. There are several methods for upgrading that I am aware of.

What is considered to be the best practice when upgrading the Oracle Database and perhaps even Oracle Applications?

Thanks
    If you are able to build a new database with the new version, eport from the old and import into the new, then IMHO, that would be the best way. But if you can't get the down time, then you need to upgrade in place. Install Oracle into a new home, shutdown the database, startup the database from the new home and run the upgrade scripts.

But you should have already read the migration documentation from Oracle, upgraded you test database, and done a full round of regression testing. Are there any features of Oracle that contradict features that you are using? Like if you want to go to an automatic undo tablespace and you use set transaction to aquire a rollback you code needs to be changed before you go to automatic undo.

Great - Thanks.

I intend to research all of these topics but its nice to hear the opinions of people on this board before beginning.

in my experience it depends on what version you are moving from / to.

If i wasnt changing anything apart from the version i'd use the migration scripts, quick and safe.

If i was changing stuff, e.g. moving from DMT to LMT for example id go for export import to get the full benefit of what I am doing.

All depends on your mileage i guess

My recommendation is that if you are unfamiliar with the upgrade process and are doing a plain vanilla upgrade on the same platform the best way is to use dbua.
    Jeff Hunter

Keep in mind that a database upgrade is an excellent opportunity to find and address problems - security issues, performance issues, and so forth.

Because of this, I almost always use export/import (or data pump) because it gives my DBAs an opportunity to do a complete audit of all of our systems during upgrade, and address issues along the way. In particular, recently we did some upgrades wherein we discovered that some of our technical documentation regarding dependencies (what apps require data from what other apps via db links or other constructs) were out of date.

This is not a justification, but it can be if you're already thinking of some kind of audit.