DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Ora-4045: what could cause Materialized View to 'NEEDS_COMPILE'?

Ora-4045: what could cause Materialized View to 'NEEDS_COMPILE'?

We got ora-4045 while running a query again a materialized view. It seems the Materialized View needs to be compiled.
    According to Oracle: 'A materialized view is automatically revalidated when it is referenced'. We only had DML on the base tables.
    So when the materialized views will be 'automatically revalidated' and when they will not and we get ora-4045?

Thanks!

Version? See bug 2660521.

Anything in alertlog?

9.2.0.6. There is nothing in alert.log file. I used bug number here to check in metalink, there is nothing showing there.

Thanks!

I can pull it up using bug search. Anyway, it had to do with 8i, 9.0.1..so might not be applicable to you.

In addition, do a regular search with the bug number to see a few more articles.

PS : I have no other ideas, if you see no errors in the alertlog. I would imagine the ORA-4045 means that the underlying materialized view is itself invalid. But with no accompanying errors in the alertlog, I'm not sure how to go about this either.

Sorry, nothing much to add - I'm kind of "pinging" the thread.

In 8.1.7 I have refresh on demand MV's that always show as INVALID. However they work perfectly well, give the right answer. I'd like to understand why.
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman