DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: supporting two listeners

Hello,

I have installed 8.1.6 onto a machine that already has 8.0.4 installed on it .

The 8.0.4 version accesses about 20 db's through the listener.

I have added the tns entries to the 8.1.6 version but get the following error when trying to connect. I have checked these over and they seem OK
    ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

How do i go about setting up the 8.1.6 listener to listen to the 8.0.4 dbs?

Thanks

RJ

I'm not aware that you can do that - surely you'll still have to go through the 8.0.4 listener for the 8.0.4 databases.
    I'm pretty sure you can have both running on the machine at the same time (since the 8.0.4 will be in the default_home, and 8.1.6 in a new home). You would of course need to use different ports for each listener, and update client TNSNAMES.ORA to point to the correct port for each database.

Yes it's possible.

I did it on an NT box with ora 734 and 816. ( while testing 7to8i migration )

In the listener.ora file of the listeners, you have to define
    other ports to listen on.
    eg 734 : listener port 1521
    816 : listener port 1526

You also have to start both the listener

To specify which listener you want to use, specify the corresponding port in your tnsnames.ora file.

Hope this helps
    Gert

That sounds like using 2 different listeners though like I suggested. (i.e. as in 2 listener services, one from 8.0.4 and one from 8.1.6 each listening for their respective database)

I think the question was can he use the one listener (supplied with the 8.1.6 database) to listen for both the 8.0.4 and 8.1.6 database - to which I 'think' the answer is no.

It should work with 8.1.6

I am using 8.1.6 listener to connect to both 8.1.6 & 7.3.4 databases and assuming that it should work with 8.0.4 too.

Any how please post your listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files here.