DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Connecting to Oracle 9i personal edi from another computer on Network

Connecting to Oracle 9i personal edi from another computer on Network

Hi all,
    I have WinXP home with Oracle 9i 9.2.0.1.0 personal edition installed on my Dell notebook. I want to develop my dba skills and I am thinking of connecting to this database on my notebook from another pc which has WinXP pro by installing only the oracle client(can i install other software to connect) on this system. By the way these two systems are in a network through a router(used to connect to internet). Your advises are welcome. Also what kind of tasks to you recommend to develop skills as a DBA. I want to start as a Jr DBA. Plz recommend some tasks.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Connecting to Oracle 9i personal edi from another computer on Network

Originally posted by ajashadi
    Hi all,
    I have WinXP home with Oracle 9i 9.2.0.1.0 personal edition installed on my Dell notebook. I want to develop my dba skills and I am thinking of connecting to this database on my notebook from another pc which has WinXP pro by installing only the oracle client(can i install other software to connect) on this system. By the way these two systems are in a network through a router(used to connect to internet). Your advises are welcome. Also what kind of tasks to you recommend to develop skills as a DBA. I want to start as a Jr DBA. Plz recommend some tasks.

Thanks in advance.
    You will need to know how to configure the listener, which you can do with Personal Oracle. See if you can find a simple application on the net somewhere and create a database for it. You can always use Access as a quick and dirty front end. Read the book "SQL Queries for Mere Mortals". You really want to focus on learning database concepts though.

yes that is possible, install the oracle client and set up tnsnames.ora and connect away.

Can also use jdbc without downloading the client

for learning to be a dba - go to tahiti.oracle.com and read the concepts guide cover to cover

Hi,
    Thank for your replies. I would prefer the oracle client method rather than using front end,which I will try later. Now my question is setting tnsnames.ora on that pc2. Can u suggest good tutorial for understanding tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files. I saw the site tahiti.oracle.com . Its really good but lots of material for a newbie. Right now I want configuring tnsnames file.

Thanks. I really appreciate ur help.

search google for it, plenty of examples there.

But you need the listener on the machine with the database on and the tnsnames on the remote machine in your case