DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle hangs when Windows is starting

Oracle hangs when Windows is starting

Hi.

I have just installed Oracle 8.1.6 on a brand new server (Win2k server).
    I copied my oracle data files and some necessary ini/ora files from the old oracle server.
    When I reboot Windows, oracle is not started, it just hangs. If I terminate the Oracle.exe process and waits for the oradim process to end, and then try to start oracle using the "oradim -startup -sid sidname" command - then oracle starts without an error.

(Created new controlfiles after moving data files..)

Does anyone know how I can fix this??

Thanks.

Re: Oracle hangs when Windows is starting

Originally posted by rudste
    Hi.

I have just installed Oracle 8.1.6 on a brand new server (Win2k server).
    I copied my oracle data files and some necessary ini/ora files from the old oracle server.
    When I reboot Windows, oracle is not started, it just hangs. If I terminate the Oracle.exe process and waits for the oradim process to end, and then try to start oracle using the "oradim -startup -sid sidname" command - then oracle starts without an error.

(Created new controlfiles after moving data files..)

Does anyone know how I can fix this??

Thanks.
    My first question is, why are you using 8.1.6?
    My second question is, what does the alert log say?

Nothing is written to the alert log file when service is starting the first time.

The second time I start the service - then startup info is written to the alert log file.
    (Has to terminate oracle.exe process before service is restarted.)

Nothing is written to the alert log file when service is starting the first time.

The second time I start the service - then startup info is written to the alert log file.
    (Has to terminate oracle.exe process before service is restarted.)
    Your database is not starting automattically even though the service is starting automatically. Use ORADIM to set the database to start automatically. You will have to look up the command.

Hi,

Check your registry. there is an option for autostart. If it's set to no, it will only start the service, but not the database.

Regards,

Arian

Originally posted by Alien
    Hi,

Check your registry. there is an option for autostart. If it's set to no, it will only start the service, but not the database.

Regards,

Arian
    Using Oradim will change the registry entry.

I have created new service entry using oradim - same error.

This happens:
    - Windows starts.
    - Service try to start
    - Oracle.exe process appears in task manager (allocates about 10MB should be about 78MB memory)
    - In service manager, status for oracle service is "starting"
    - Nothing more happens
    - Nothing is logges to alert file.

If I terminate the Oracle.exe process, and manually start the oracle service. Then Oracle is started (allocating about 78MB memory) and this startup is logged to alert file.

I have also tried to set service startup to manually and executed "oradim -startup" command manually. The same thing happens. First time oracle process hang. Second time it is starts up.

I have also tried to set service startup to manually and executed "oradim -startup" command manually. The same thing happens. First time oracle process hang. Second time it is starts up.
    So running "ORADIM -SID SIDNAME -STARTMODE AUTO" at a dos prompt doesn't help???

No it does not help.

(If the service didnt start automatically, then the oracle.exe process would not exist in taskmanager either.)

Alternatively:
    If I set service startup to MANUAL. Restart Windows.
    Execute "Oradim -startup -sid sidname" service is starting but oracle is not started correctly (nothing logged to alert log).
    I terminate oracle.exe process and try the same "oradim -startup" command as before, then oracle is started as normal (OK).

The problem is that Oracle will not start THE FIRST TIME only.
    After the first attempt to start, it will start and stop as normal.