DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on renaming datafiles

Question Questions on renaming datafiles

Is it possible to rename one of three datafiles without making the tablespace offline?
    I have a tablespace which has three datafiles and I want to rename one of the datafiles without making the tablespace offline. I know that the datafile which is going to be renamed must be offline but can it be done without making the tablespace offline and not affecting Read/Write access on the tablespace?

RTM
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

no
    Jeff Hunter

Hunie, try opening a MS Word file, then on the other window rename the
    file, u cant do it becoz there is locking going on its the
    same theory.

that´s windows but not unix or linux

You can do it in linux/unix, but you'll end up with a really T-OOO'd database (not to mention a recovery operation).

Ken

N: Grandma just called and said you're supposed to go home.
    R: She didn't tell me anything.
    N: Too bad, she said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.

Originally posted by KenEwald
    You can do it in linux/unix, but you'll end up with a really T-OOO'd database (not to mention a recovery operation).
    I was thinking about this a little more. Sure, why not? You could offline the datafile, copy it at the OS, rename it in Oracle, and online it. I would make sure I was in archivelog mode and I'd probably do this with my tablespace in backup mode and it would be a very quiet time when I did it. However, I think it might work...
    Last edited by marist89; 05-09-2005 at 10:54 PM.
    Jeff Hunter

Entirely possible.

How many times have dba's have screwed up renaming files (over existing files, for example)? There's no file system undo in %nix.

I'd opt for scheduled downtime. Having someone look over my shoulder at the critical moment has kept me from doing some really stupid things too.

Originally posted by KenEwald

How many times have dba's have screwed up renaming files (over existing files, for example)? There's no file system undo in %nix.
    I'm not saying I would do it either, but if you HAD to do it, I would test this scenario in my crash&burn environment to verify my theory.
    Jeff Hunter

As Jeff says,

This can be done (tested on 9.2.0.6, windows 2k3 EE standard LMT).

Just make sure you are in archivelog mode or you won't be able to take the datafile offline.

Cheers