DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are the tables?

Cool Where are the tables?

Dear All

I'm new in Oracle World and an undergraduate student.

I created the tables for my DB.How can I find the tables on my computer?Is there any manual technique to transfer/modify/view any tables to/from my DB?waht is the extention of the table or DB files?

Pls save me from this headace.

If you've created your tables in a vanilla instance, they will probably reside in the system tablespace within the system datafile. You should be able to find the latter by searching for files with the extension .dbf

That said, I think you would be well advised to read up on a few principles and basics of Oracle (there are plenty on the web) to see how it fits together. Good luck.
    If I have to choose between two evils, I always like to choose the one I haven't tried yet.

Hi

This was the exact problem i faced when i became a DBA.My first job as a DBA .i could never find those tables.i searched searched and searched the entire unix operating system all in vain .

The next day somebody told me a table is only a logical concept in rdbms world.

regards
    Hrishy

Originally posted by hrishy
    The next day somebody told me a table is only a logical concept in rdbms world.
    infact rdbms itself is a logical concept, i dunoo how did you get the thought of searching the table in the OS files..
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Hi abhay

well i was thrown into the world of computers after a unsucessful try as a currency dealer real estate broker stock market analyst failed pilot and what not.I did not have any idea about software or oracle.Gawd i ddint even knew that there were something called as docos

regards
    Hrishy

Originally posted by hrishy
    Hi abhay

well i was thrown into the world of computers after a unsucessful try as a currency dealer real estate broker stock market analyst failed pilot and what not.

regards
    Hrishy

Sounds pretty interesting..

You surely have crazy experiences then.. lol
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Hi Abhay

offcourse yes..i worked on the currency floor of a currency exchange on the stock trading floor almost survived a heart attack and many heart aches :-) and a number of database crashes :-) i forgot the number of stock market crashes i have seen :-)

boom boom :-)

regards
    Hrishy

Re: Where are the tables?

Originally posted by Rumen
    Dear All

I'm new in Oracle World and an undergraduate student.

I created the tables for my DB.How can I find the tables on my computer?Is there any manual technique to transfer/modify/view any tables to/from my DB?waht is the extention of the table or DB files?

Pls save me from this headace.
    I think that a great place to start would be with a read of the intimidatingly-large Concept's Guide here . (Get yourself an account on Oracle's TechNet -- it's a painless process and gives you online access to all the docs).

At the moment just start with the stuff about data files, tablespaces, tables and indexes, users and roles.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Cool

First of all Thanks to those friends who replied.

Now my enquiry is , if .DBF files created in oracle8i transferrable to oracle9i (both created in windows2000) environment?if yes ,what is the process to activate it in newly created database?

Again Thanx.

Originally posted by Rumen
    First of all Thanks to those friends who replied.

Now my enquiry is , if .DBF files created in oracle8i transferrable to oracle9i (both created in windows2000) environment?if yes ,what is the process to activate it in newly created database?

Again Thanx.
    Let me give you a piece of good advice.Don't go on experimenting with Oracle without having a basic level knowledge of Oracle architecture.It will ruin your career in Oracle.Follow the advice given by slimdave. Get aquainted with the basic theory first, then go for practical exercises.
    There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and benchmarks...

Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it's friends are.

Oracle DBA