DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 10g enterprise manager

10g enterprise manager

Hi Folks

1)Whats the diff between 10g enterprise manager and the 10g grid control ?

2)Do i need to install anything on to the client or everything will work from the web browser (some DBA's are saying i need to install the java edition on my client i dont understand that)

3)Can i use 10g enterprise manager to manage 9i databases ?

4)I saw a option called as cloning in 10g enterprise manager can i use this option to clone oracle 9i databases ?

regards
    Hrishy

Good questions...

1)Whats the diff between 10g enterprise manager and the 10g grid control ?

Same thing. I think they realized they went overboard with the "Grid" word and now they're starting to call it 10g EM.

2)Do i need to install anything on to the client or everything will work from the web browser (some DBA's are saying i need to install the java edition on my client i dont understand that)

Most features work from the browser. Some features work only from the Java client (like OLAP). There's a matrix out there somewhere with the features of each.

3)Can i use 10g enterprise manager to manage 9i databases ?

Indeed. You will need to install the 10g agent (to it's own $ORACLE_HOME) on the server the 9i database is running on.

4)I saw a option called as cloning in 10g enterprise manager can i use this option to clone oracle 9i databases ?

Yes. I believe it'll just create a job & rman script that'll do an rman db dup.

-Ken

Hi Ken

Thanks for the valuable info ..

regards
    Hrishy

DNS Lookup is still (as of 9i it is) pre-requisite for Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g ? Our Client hesitate to list Servers Ips on DNS and think its security threat. Any worl arounds ? Thank you.
    Reddy,Sam

local hosts file

Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk
    local hosts file
    Thanks, I'm aware of that. Issue with databases spanning across multiple subnets talking to OMS.
    Reddy,Sam

Don't agree that 10g EM and 10g grid are the same. I am surprized that someone asks and someone else says they are same, and many seniors are quiet about it as well.
    10g EM comes with every database install... doesn't mean its a grid; it can only be used to handle that particular database. If you need to manage a host of servers under one EM, the default 10g EM will not help anyway, you will need the grid EM to be installed which is a seperate installable...

no dbconsole comes with the database "Database Console". As Ken said Grid Control IS Enterprise Manager they are the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk
    no dbconsole comes with the database "Database Console". As Ken said Grid Control IS Enterprise Manager they are the same thing
    Not sure what you are saying. I downloaded the software from the web (which is free) and I can open the EM with the command emctl start dbconsole.

This ofcourse cannot be used for grid control.. I cannot configure/add other hosts other than the database itself.

Am I missing anything?

You've got to get this "Grid" thing out of your head.

It's a marketing ploy .. smoke and mirrors .. A Larry thing; remember "Unbreakable"? It's morphed into "unbreakable linux". Look for Grid-ish next year... he he

It's OK to market a product, but professionals have to realize it's just a software upgrade.

Dbconsole is a scaled down (single instance) version of Enterprise Manager. A Dbconsole license is included with your database. If you've got to manage more than a few databases, you may want to consider Enterprise Manager.

Enterprise Manager will manage multiple databases from one console. It can be downloaded and used just like any other Oracle product but you still have to license it if you use it past the 30 day eval period.
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need