DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Is there an Internal method for recognizing passed in parms?

Is there an Internal method for recognizing passed in parms?

Hello All,

I'm creating a new (trace) package in which I will track the call stack path of my system, to find out what's being called under multiple scenarios. I can turn this tracing on and off at a system level and can have multiple output paths (i.e. dbms_output, log file, or a table)

The calls to my new package will be placed into at least 2 points of every package, procedure and function in my system. The first will be the entry point into one of the above, and the second will be the exit.

On entry into a package/proc/func, I will call my new package and pass in a few things such as:
    1) Package/proc/func name
    2) Any in parameters
    3) Any addition debug info

On exit, I will call my new package and pass in a few things such as:
    1) Package/proc/func name
    2) Any returned values
    3) Any addition debug info

I'd like to make my code as generic as possible, but the problem I have is that every procedure and function will have different input parameters. I'd like to be able to go into each and just add a simple call to my new package without having to manually add each input parameter one at a time. We have thousands of procedures and functions in our system and I already have to modify every one of them. I want to add as little as possible to each piece of code.

Is there a way to recognize passed in parameters so that I can call my new package and pass something which can parse the parameters and write them out? If there isn't that's fine too, but before I got started with the mass modification, I figured I'd at least ask the question.

Thanks a lot.

Paul

AFAIK there is no method for retrieving the values of formal parameters (apart from referencing them by name of course). If you wanted a single generic logging procedure you could pass the parameters as ANYDATA but you would still have to explicitly construct the ANYDATA from the parameters.