DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORA-12505 error

ORA-12505 error

I have searched this error and tried making changes to the Listener.ora file to no avail. I am defintely a newbie here. Currently where I work, we have a corporate app that installs a TNSNames files within an Orawin32 directory that is created also. Typically if I needed to access a datasource over the network I create an ODBC connection and no problem.
    I then installed Oracle Forms 6i (to teach myself)and have been having difficulty with ODBC ever since, with an internal app and TOAD. I eventually got TOAD working by making a change in its SQL*Net settings....by fluke really.
    Anyways..I know there is probably something basic that an Oracle DBA or developer would know...your help would be appreciated.

The exact error is:

ORA-12505: TNS:listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor

Thank you

have you got two versions of the file on your system now - you may be looking at the wrong one

I only have 1 Listener.ora

tnsnames.ora - not listener.ora

I have a few of those...how do I make sure it is pointing to the correct one?

Thanks

whatever your default ORACLE_HOME is, it will look in there and then network\admin

find the one you want and either set the defaut oracle_home to be there, or set TNS_ADMIN as a global environment variable to point to that directory.

This error should mean that the SID used in listener.ora and SID used in tnsnames.ora are not matching.

If you are connecting to a db that is running locally on the machine, you will need to check both places. If its a remote db, you need to make sure that your tnsnames.ora file contains correct SID in the alias definition.
    svk

Davey23UK
    I’m not sure how to do this

svk
    Before installing Oracle forms, I had no problems. Is there a way to revert back to not using listener.ora and just using the Orawin32\Network\Admin tnsnames? Listener was only installed on my system when I installed Oracle.

On a side note…I tried to uninstalled Oracle Forms and I can't find it in Add/Remove programs and I can’t find an uninstall.exe. The OS is XP.

Thank you both very much for your help on this.

oracle is crap with its installer. You have to fire up the installer again and choose deinstall products