DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: run batch file from within PL/SQL code

run batch file from within PL/SQL code

How can I run a batch file from within a PL/SQL procedure? I'm using Oracle 10g/Win2003
    Thank you

Re: run batch file from within PL/SQL code

Originally posted by gab
    How can I run a batch file from within a PL/SQL procedure? I'm using Oracle 10g/Win2003
    Thank you
    Have you tried DBMS_JOB?

What I want is to be able to call the export utility from within a stored procedure. As a last resort, I could define a program with dbms_scheduler, then a job that executes that program just once and call that job that actually execute the export from the procedure. But I was hoping to avoid it by calling the export directly in the procedure, eventually within a wrapper(like shell function in VB)

for the nth time, you cannot run os commands from with pl/sql you will need to load some java up into the db to do that

Originally posted by davey23uk
    for the nth time, you cannot run os commands from with pl/sql you will need to load some java up into the db to do that
    Why can't he use utl_file to append a line to his crontab file?

yeah nice idea actually. but only if you want to do it regularly. Still cant run os commands from pl/sql though

Our OS is Windows

Originally posted by gab
    Our OS is Windows
    There is a tool called winbatch. Use it to write a program that looks for batch files in a particular directory. When it finds a bat file it should run the file, delete it and then go to sleep for a period of time.

Then write your procedure to create a file ending in bat with all of the commands that you want run. You can also dynamically create the parameter file.