DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Changing Oracle String Delimiter

Changing Oracle String Delimiter

The default delimiter in Oracle is a quote or apostrophe ' , What I would like to do is change the delimiter in the session. Is there anyway to do this with Alter session or a SQL PLUS command where I can change the delimiter such as the SET command. I looked through the SET Command and I see things such as cmdsep and colsep, but nothing for delimiting or encapsulating strings.

What I need to do is insert a character value that has apostrohpes, so before I insert I want to change the delimiter to something else and then do an insert such as [this is the string values that don't go ' ' ' '' ''' string etc... ] . So that it will insert everything between that and ignore ' as the seperator??

Thanks

Escape?
    I remember when this place was cool.

Nope

What do you mean by escape? I know in SQL Server you can do it.

Im just thinking I need to use something other than SQLPLUS to do this. I wanted to write a script file.. looks like I might need to use sqlldr instead.

Re: Changing Oracle String Delimiter

Originally posted by djtomr941
    The default delimiter in Oracle is a quote or apostrophe ' , What I would like to do is change the delimiter in the session. Is there anyway to do this with Alter session or a SQL PLUS command where I can change the delimiter such as the SET command. I looked through the SET Command and I see things such as cmdsep and colsep, but nothing for delimiting or encapsulating strings.

What I need to do is insert a character value that has apostrohpes, so before I insert I want to change the delimiter to something else and then do an insert such as [this is the string values that don't go ' ' ' '' ''' string etc... ] . So that it will insert everything between that and ignore ' as the seperator??

Thanks
    what db version? does not 10g hace some funk feature to handle this?
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

9i

Oracle 9i, but heck I wold use 10g if it had this functionality.

Found it

Found it, don't know if this applies to 8i but it works on 9i and 10g.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs....htm#sthref379

Basically precede your string with a q' and any character for example q'* so to get out of the string you would have to issue *'

Or q'< Don't >' returns Don't , q'$ '$ etc.. you get the idea.