DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Archived Log Blues

Hi Everyone,

This morning, I simulated loss of a datafile, and replaced it with a backup that is older than the control file. I did this in order to make sure that everything will work correctly when I need to recover the database for real.

I am glad I did this, because when I issued RECOVER DATABASE, I got the following error messages:

ORA-00308 cannot open archived log 'c:\ . . . .'

ORA-27047 unable to read the header block of file 001172.ARC

0SD -- 04006 Read File () failure, unable to read from file.

I am using Personal Oracle On a PC. The Oracle version is meant to run on Windows95; the computer uses Windows98; this initially caused installation problems which I overcame simply by repeating the installation attempts. Could the problem be connected to this mismatch?

Might this be an Operating System problem?

I would appreciate any insight into what the problem might be, and how to fix it.

Many thanks.

Cliff W.

Cool Problem Solved

Problem solved.

I put the database back into NOARCHIVELOG, deleted the bad archivelogs, then put it back into ARCHIVELOG mode. After I did that, everything worked fine. I was able to simulate loss of a datafile with new data, then recover from an older backup.

As usual, I solved this problem in ad-hoc manner -- just by experimenting with things. I don't know why what I did worked, nor do I know what caused the original problem. Any insights?

Cliff W.

I'm guessing that one of your archived redo logs was screwed up. If the old backup you restored was sequentially after the screwed up log file I could understand it. If the old backup was before the screwed up logfile, then I don't know...
    Jeff Hunter

Corrupt files parameter

If this is version 8i, look into this init parameter. It will save you from corrupt data files and archive log files.

DB_BLOCK_CHECKSUM = TRUE

Doug

Please be aware that when using DB_BLOCK_CHECKSUM a large performance hit is taken from calculating and storing the checksum for each I/O operation. It is usually recommended that this parameter only be used troubleshooting data corruption problems. Not to be used for day to day operations.