DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: listener question

I have a database on sever TEST and when i connect to database via sqlplus from same machine i am able to connect and everything is fine. But when i am trying to connect through jdbc calls from a java program from a webserver i am not able to connect and then i found listener is down on server. I want to know that even if listener is down on and if i make connections from same machine on which database resides via sqlplus works or not. Does it use any bequeath process or something for this type of process. Please advise
    Thanks

You should have listener Up and Running when you want to connect remotely where as it is not required if you are connecting from your server.

I don't know what else you need to set if you are running to Apps
    Thanks
    Kishore Kumar

You are not using sqlnet if you are not using a connect string:
    e.g. sqlplus system/manager connects w/o using the tnsname lookup or listener.

sqlplus system/manager@myproddb will connect you via sqlnet, even when you and the database are on the same server.

Please note that this is applicable for unix; i am not as familiar with NT or Windoze.

D.

you said JAVA means need to check JDBC connections. And if I am not wrong, you need to use HOST, PORT, and SID in your java programs. if you pass all three values correctly, should not be any problem, if JDBC working fine.