DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: database recovery

Unhappy database recovery

Hi! My friend company is using oracle as backend to store data. Due to system failure they formatted the harddisk C drive. Oracle was loaded in D drive and the physical data files are safe. The last backup they performed was 4 months back. Is there any way to receover data from the physical files. Please help me. Thanks in advance.

Re: database recovery

Originally posted by PRL
    Hi! My friend company is using oracle as backend to store data. Due to system failure they formatted the harddisk C drive. Oracle was loaded in D drive and the physical data files are safe. The last backup they performed was 4 months back. Is there any way to receover data from the physical files. Please help me. Thanks in advance.
    If they didn't lose any files than there is nothing to recover. Get a new disk for the os, install windows and Oracle, use oradim to create a service, setup the listener and startup the database. Ohb and while you are doing all of that you may want to transition to some sort of raid. Perhaps you could just buy a server with a hardware raid built in and move the disk to the new server copying the files to a raid drive.

You may want to get a dba to help you with this. Also, apparently the data isn't very important otherwise you would look into a backup strategy.

This should not be a problem if ALL the database files are intact on the D: drive.

The operating system should be installed again on the C: drive - this is the most critical point (a mistake could wipe the D: drive). Then at that point I'd make a backup of D: (just in case of accidents). The Oracle Software needs to be re-installed (in principle if it was on the D: you just need to hack the registry - in practice not feasable).

You will need to find the init.ora file - if it was on C: that might be the only thing to restore! - the Oracle Service is created with ORADIM. Then you should be able to start the database only losing uncommited transactions (instance failure).

Good luck.