DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: exchange partition

exchange partition

I have a small table with clean data for year 2005. Now I wanted to exchange this table with a partition p2005 in a composite partitioned (range-hash) big table. But I got error ORA-14292: Partitioning type of table must match subpartitioning type of composite partition.

Do I have to have small table2005 composite partitioned in order to be exchanged? That would require quite a log of space.

Thanks!

Any possiblity to paste up the sql syntax you're using to give me (us) a better insite of what you're trying to do.

I'm sooo funcused ??
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg

Yes, your small table must be hash partitioned -- but I don't understand why that would take up much more space than the non-partitioned table
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Thanks for the help! I just realized that composite potitioned table cannot exchange partition.

Now, I am doing an exchange partition with an list partitioned table, instead of composite partitioned table. But I still can not get through it. I got ora-14099: all rows in table do not qualify for specified partition.
    What are the conditions to be qualify for a partition exchange?

Help me! It's frustrating!

Make sure that all the column definitions of the two tables are the same. Same with the indexes if u want it to be included during the exchange.

Originally posted by lgaorcl
    Thanks for the help! I just realized that composite potitioned table cannot exchange partition.
    Yes it can -- but the table with with the composite partition is exchanged must itself be partitioned in a manner compatible with the method of subpartitioning in the composite table.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Originally posted by lgaorcl
    Now, I am doing an exchange partition with an list partitioned table, instead of composite partitioned table. But I still can not get through it. I got ora-14099: all rows in table do not qualify for specified partition.
    What are the conditions to be qualify for a partition exchange?

Help me! It's frustrating!
    The error message is self explanatory -- some rows in the table which you are exchanging the partition with are not properly part of that partition -- like your partition is for values 'EAST' and the table has rows with a value of 'WEST'
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE