rebuild index to different tablespace - Page 2
DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: rebuild index to different tablespace

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,027
    Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    Cmon quiz kid, the end of the movie, the old man by the bridge asks Arthur that question...Arthur responds and the old man (from scene 21) goes into the pit of fire.
    Somehow it doesn't mean as much when taken out of context. You should try some more easily recognizable quotes.

    Arthur Dent
    "This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays."
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy p25

    "Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' of which I wasn't previously aware."
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy p50

    "Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy p82

    "It's at moments like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die from asphyxiation in deep space, that I wish I had listened to what my mother told me when I was young."
    Ford Prefect: "Why, what did she say?"
    Arthur: "I don't know, I didn't listen!"

    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy p75
    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Douglas_Adams#Arthur_Dent
    this space intentionally left blank

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,204
    Gooooosh! Yea, looks like Ken's got a case of the "Monday's"

    How about rebuilding online? Big performance drain? (40gb 3 column pk index)
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    3,131
    Originally posted by KenEwald
    Gooooosh! Yea, looks like Ken's got a case of the "Monday's"

    How about rebuilding online? Big performance drain? (40gb 3 column pk index)
    I love office space!

    Online will require an estimated 40gig of additional space since it will literally rebuild the index before dropping the old one. So, your worst case scenario is another 40 gig index, although it should take up less space after a rebuild. I would do this off hours if I were you.
    I remember when this place was cool.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,204
    The INDEX_TYPE is "LOB", and if I'm reading the metalink articles right, it can't be rebuilt - online or off without:

    Export, pre-create, import

    This means a ton of downtime. What the heck! Guess rebuilding it should have been a design consideration.

    If I had to do it over, I'd create it as an IOT and partitioned.

    Doooh
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    5,253
    Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    Online will require an estimated 40gig of additional space since it will literally rebuild the index before dropping the old one.
    I think that's true anyway, is it not?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

    Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

    Oracle ACE

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    England
    Posts
    7,333
    Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    I love office space!

    Online will require an estimated 40gig of additional space since it will literally rebuild the index before dropping the old one. So, your worst case scenario is another 40 gig index, although it should take up less space after a rebuild. I would do this off hours if I were you.
    and the space to accomodate changes which are made during the rebuild

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width