DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard of/used TimesTen technology

Anyone heard of/used TimesTen technology

Good morning Fellow DBAs.

Our company is looking into software by TimesTen (http://timesten.com/products/).
    From their website: "The key distinction for TimesTen’s products is the use of memory-resident data and memory-optimized algorithms."

I was wondering if anyone has heard of/used their products. I wanted to post this question here, since most of us are knowledgable about Oracle's use of memory; and that is the main selling point of Time Ten's technology.

Please share your experience-thanks.

So no one here has researched "memory based databases" ?
    Doesn't the technology sound interesting-aren't you curious to see how they perform vs. Oracle + RAC ?

not really no

There are two kinds of boss/client
    • those that think that throwing away the entire skill set of their technology workers, plus all the time they've spent on an application, plus all of the related compatible technologies that they have in place, would be a dumb thing.
    • those who read about new stuff in magazines and on company websites and instantly think it should be adopted 'cos it's the latest thing.

Iguess we must all have the first type.

Which isn't to say that the technology you're asking about is a bad thing, but I'd be really keen on knowing what other software is compatible with it.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

==
    Doesn't the technology sound interesting-aren't you curious to see how they perform vs. Oracle + RAC ?

===
    Can you tell us what the product does?

Hmmm, Day-by-day Oracle itself is becoming huge software.

Tamil

I know I'm probably being a Luddite here, but it seems to me preferable to have your data stored on a physical entity such as a disk and/or tape, rather than 'in memory', which as we all know can be a somewhat capricious mistress. No doubt the good people of TimesTen have thought about this and addressed it in every way they can. That is, until the time comes when the one scenario they haven't envisaged comes to pass. OK then just call me Ned from now on!
    If I have to choose between two evils, I always like to choose the one I haven't tried yet.

Originally posted by khussain
    I don't do "lightweight infrastructure" (Their words,not mine).
    Jeff Hunter

I agree with Davey...

not really no
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Asimov
    Oracle Scirpts DBA's need

Some of you had asked what they (TimesTen) offer. Here is another company (ANTS) that we are evaluating:
    http://www.ants.com/index.php?option...id=208&op=page

Let me make a couple of things clear. This is not to replace our Oracle RDBMS databases. It would sit on top of Oracle RDBMS (but eventually write to Oracle), but according to these folks, be 5 to 15 times faster than any other RDBMS.

The reasons:
    Memory Based
    Lock-Free operation
    Compiled SQL
    etc, etc ...

Trust me guys, I am as weiry about this, as most of you. That is the main reason I posted this thread. To get another side of the story.
    The 2 companies will be doing a Demo (with some of our code) ... to show us the performance difference. I can update this thread with the results, if anyone is interested.

Also, one thing that came to my mind was that we should compare apples to apples. i.e. Cache the stored procedures in Memory (in our current Oracle system), and some other tunning tasks.

What about locking? I don't know of anyway to easy the locking that the Oracle RDBMS does - any ideas?

Locking is problematic in some databases (eg SQL Server) but Oracle's implementation is so light-weight that I have no problemns with it at all. I'd be wary of applications promising to solve problems that you don't have.

Likewise Oracle offers native compilation of PL/SQL, although in practical terms this is (and can) only be useful for non-SQL operations.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE