DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: rman and flash recovery area

rman and flash recovery area

Hi,
    We are using RMAN to perform oracle 9i database backups on disk. These backups are then moved to tape susing Tivoli Storage Manager using OS backup. With this approach we are eliminating need to integrate RMAN and TSM as well as additional license cost. Oracle 10g has "Flash Recovery Area(FRA)" to hold recovery related files (e.g. backups, archived logs etc.) on disks. I was wondering whether we will be still able to use our old backup methods with flash recovery area.
    e.g. if I have 7 day retention period.
    Day 1: Incr. backup (level 0) + Incr. backup 1(level 1), Backup FRA on tape
    Day 2: Incr. backup (level 0) + Incr. backup 2(level 1), Backup FRA on tape
    Day 8: Incr. backup (level 0) + Incr. backup 8(level 1), Backup FRA on tape

On Day 8, My Day 1 backup becomes obsolete and removed from fash recovery area to make space for other files. However, I still have OS level backup done using TSM for Day 1. So, If I need to recover my DB as of Day 1, I can restore OS level backup. But where should it be restored (Flash Recovery Area or other file system)? how do I tell RMAN to use this backup?

Thanks for your input.....
    nilesh

That is the whole point of integration RMAN with TSM that u do not have to keep track of OS level backups. I do not think that you are saving that much by not using Tivoli Data Protection integrated with TSM.
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

That's true but we do not use Tivoli Data Protection for other reasons such as cost. After further reading, I understand that "flash reovery area" is kind of a cache for tape. So, it must be possible to use older RMAN backups that are no longer available in flashback recovery area.
    Anybody else has input?
    thanks,
    nilesh

I am sorry that I can not offer your an aswer on your question, but if you do not mind, what is the reason except cost not to use TDP with RMAN? Just curios ....
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

Our tape backup is outsourced to vendor. We don't want to involve them if we need to go back at point-in-time less than 7 days. By having backups on disk, we can recover upto last 7 days w/o involving the vendor.