DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Confusion On Log_buffer Allocation

Question Confusion On Log_buffer Allocation

Oracle 9.2.0.1 on AIX 5.3

Most of my databases are very small. When the databases were 8.1.7 on AIX 4.3.3, I had determined that 76K was the smallest value that would be allocated for the log_buffers (even if I set it lower, I got 76K) and therefore that is what I set most of the databases to.

Now that I have migrated to 9i on AIX 5.3, I notice that the log_buffer is actually showing 258K on these systems (via v$sgastat). Therefore, I assume that the 258K is now the minimum allocation for the new operating system.

I then started playing with the values. If I set the log_buffer parm to anything <= 128K, I get 258K. From that point on, whatever value I set the log_buffer to, I actually get a value much larger that whatever I specified - usually about 130K-140K larger (130K gives 261K, 160K gives 300K 250K gives 388K)).

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks,
    Sheila

Minimum log buffer size is platform dependent and also oracle release. It is quite natural you will see different values in different platforms.

Tamil

I was not really surprised to see the minimum size increase when we went to the new operating system - I knew that this value was very dependent on the OS.

If I specify <= 128K, I get the apparent minimum of 256K (no problem here). What I am confused about is: If I specify anything > 128K, I actually get a value much larger (anywhere from 130K-140K larger).

Why would the *real* value be this much larger than the specified parm?

Sheila

What is the value set for log_parallelism?

Tamil

log_parallelism is defaulting to 1.

Sheila