DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN: physical from one machine to another.

RMAN: physical from one machine to another.

Guys,

we're going to install RMAN in our offices and I've got some questions.
    We've got a production-server and a rman-server. They're not on the same site (one in Antwerp, one in Brussels).
    Basically I want to backup to the RMAN-server, and when there's a problem restore the database on another machine (f.i. the rman-server, which has the same set-up).
    Now I wonder how I do the backups to the rman-server. Do I need to do an ftp of every file or is rman capable of copying the files from one server to another? (they're able to ping/ftp/telnet each other).

Thx,

Rik

nfs mount the filesystem

Originally posted by davey23uk
    nfs mount the filesystem
    The backup itself will run faster if you write backup pieces to local disk and ftp'ed them across to the remote machine (rather than nfs mounting a very remote filesystem and directly writing to it).

I have no idea what you're trying to do..but have you considered a standby database instead?

We've had a standby database before, but we had some cases where we noticed that the sync between both was lost.
    As we don't need it for fast availability reasons (our production server is a veritas-cluster with mirrored discs, I think we're covered) I think we'll indeed make some jobs to backup to local disk and then ftp them to the remote machine.