DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: manually editing listener.ora

manually editing listener.ora

The company I work for has recently purchased a "turn-key solution" that uses Oracle8 as its db. It came preconfigured and partially broken (no functioning sqlplus, netasst, perl), most likely to keep us out of it. I need to connect to the db to sync it with our existing mysql db. I have managed to connect to the db with a simple java program. The problem is, it only listens on localhost and I want the scripts to reside on a different server. I need to be able to make it listen on its public IP. I am assuming I need to change the listener.ora file and possibly tnsnames.ora as well, however if anyone has any better ideas, I would love to hear them. Here is my current listener.ora file. It seems like it would be relatively simple, but I have tried numerous changes but nothing seems to work.

LISTENER =
    (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
    )
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 127.0.0.1)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    )
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (PROTOCOL_STACK =
    (PRESENTATION = GIOP)
    (SESSION = RAW)
    )
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 127.0.0.1)(PORT = 2481))
    )
    )
    )

LISTENER =
    (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 127.0.0.1)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
    )
    )
    )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
    (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
    (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
    (ORACLE_HOME = /home/oracle1/product/8.1.7)
    (PROGRAM = extproc)
    )
    ( SID_DESC=
    (GLOBAL_DBNAME = THISDB)
    (ORACLE_HOME = /home/oracle1/product/8.1.7)
    (SID_NAME = THISDB)
    )
    )

Thanks in advance.

yes you need to update the listener.ora to have the public IP in.

Sure you wont lose your vendor support if you do this?

So yeah, all I needed to do was to change all of the IPs to the public IP. I had tried that before, but only reloaded the listener. It turns out because it is running 9iAS as well, that I needed to reboot the entire server. This all came straight from the vendors mouth after some leaning on them. I will know for sure a little later tonight though when I test it out.
    Support contract? The whole reason I am doing this is because we have been waiting 3 months for their nice java interface.
    Thanks for your suggestion though.

you dont need to reboot the server, thats a bit drastic - its only the listener

I don't know, I am only going off of what they told me. When I told them I tried doing that and reloading the listener, they said that both 8i and 9iAS need to be restarted as well as some other services and that it would be easiest to reboot. I know more needs to happen than just reloading the listener because that didn't work before. Most likely that is why none of the changes I tried worked. I will post again to let you know how it worked out. I will be doing the reboot late tonight when I can minimize the affects of it. From what I can tell about this server, it appears to be a very substandard installation anyways, so maybe that is why reloading the listener didn't work. "Locate listener.ora" comes up with about 17 files. I don't think that is normal, is it? Either way, I will be personally flying to their headquarters and strangling their "head" DBA if this doesn't work!

The reboot did work and I can now get into it from remote machines. I think I have been working with Linux for too long. If it had been a windows server, a reboot would have been a given.