DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Social Security Reform Explained

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    Didn't you guys grow up watching the Little Rascals?
    Um ... no.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Originally posted by gandolf989
    You almost had me taking you side, until you said "So what? If you can't save enough for retirement, DON'T RETIRE."
    Lets look at it another way. You want to go to Hawaii. You have been putting away $1 a week for 40 years. You have $2000. Do you go, or do you expect the government to pay for you to go?
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    Didn't you guys grow up watching the Little Rascals?
    I want some of what he is smoking.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    Lets look at it another way. You want to go to Hawaii. You have been putting away $1 a week for 40 years. You have $2000. Do you go, or do you expect the government to pay for you to go?
    I'm struggling to understand where this analogy is going.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

How about this, a large number of Americans have no choice but to work at minumum wage, with little or no benefits, just trying to eek out a living. Their company is forced to match what they pay into social security. So whether they lack skills and don't make enough money or they are careless with what they make, they will get something when they retire. Not much, but something.

It is fine if we change to private accounts, as long as we can afford it. But if we can't afford the transition to private accounts, then we should keep what we have until we can afford the transition to private accounts. It couldn't be simpler than that. Unless you make it simpler by intentionally misrepresenting what you are really trying to do.

Originally posted by slimdave
    But one of the biggest problems with the privatisation plan is that it stops new people from paying in right now. And that means that unless something really drastic is done then this plan will make Social Security fund bankrupt immediately, by your own definition!
    I'm not a big fan of the privitization plan that was put forth either. This problem is not something that will be fixed in our generation. Obviously, you can't flip a switch and say everybody from this date forward has to fend for themselves. It's going to take an entire generation to get people off this welfare. If I thought I had all the answers, I'd be a democrat.
    Jeff Hunter

It is fine if we change to private accounts, as long as we can afford it. But if we can't afford the transition to private accounts, then we should keep what we have until we can afford the transition to private accounts. It couldn't be simpler than that.
    I wholeheartedly agree. If we can't afford what we have now, it has to be changed.
    Jeff Hunter

It is fine if we change to private accounts, as long as we can afford it. But if we can't afford the transition to private accounts, then we should keep what we have until we can afford the transition to private accounts. It couldn't be simpler than that.

I wholeheartedly agree. If we can't afford what we have now, it has to be changed.
    Apparently you just aren't going to get it. If we had an extra 2 trillion dollars, then private accounts would be a great idea. Taking away money from social security will not keep it going longer.

Besides, the amount of debt built up during Bush's first term, would be more than what would would need to either stabalize social security as it is, or create private accounts. Apparently trillion dollar missile defense systems and new spy satelites are more important than fiscal discipline. A missile defense system that does not work, and does not protect us from someone hand delivering a nuke to this country. And a spy satalite system that was characterized by those in the know as similar to what we already have. Fiscal discipline can not be disregarded when it comes to defense.

So when the administration tells you that people are better money managers than they are, can you believe them? Maybe, if the administration is republican

It's not about democrat or republican to me, they both lie through their teeth.

No welfare.....period.....none.....nada.....zippy.
    Rick

Sigh.....those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end.
    I too remember when this place was coo.

I glad to see that this budget & SS debate hasn't distracted the state governments from their real business: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4249831.stm