Live for today!!

Go get laid!
    Have a drink!
    Go snowboarding!
    Hug your kids!
    Play guitar!

Don't you ever get sick of this CRAP!?
    LOL, finally the voice of sanity!

Heh heh heh, Hanky's one of them "spend it on plasma" guys.

Here's what I'm spending it on ... http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/790.aspx
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    CHRIST!!

Tomorrow you ****ers will be DEAD!!

Live for today!!

Go get laid!
    Have a drink!
    Go snowboarding!
    Hug your kids!
    Play guitar!

Don't you ever get sick of this CRAP!?
    If I'm dying tomorrow, I'm taking the afternoon off!!!
    In fact I'll take the rest of the week off starting now!!!

I've told my boss that I'm nominating a special word or phrase each day, and when i read or hear it in a work-related communication I'm taking the rest of the day off.

Today's phrase was "circle jerk" -- I doubt I'll have to wait much longer for that one to pop up.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Originally posted by slimdave
    I did 5 years cos that's what Yahoo would give me, and there's plenty of people who were retiring around then.
    Please. If you're retiring and you have a significant portion of you nest egg in the Dow stocks, you deserve to lose your shirt. This is not diversified portfolio.

It's mandatory because people are stupid and greedy, and would rather have a plasma TV now than food in 40 years time.
    So what? If you are stupid and greedy you should have to work until the day you die.
    Jeff Hunter

People who are retiring do indeed invest over the long term, but they don't decide when they can get out of the market -- that is decided for them when they are no longer employable, and the times when older people are getting fired in favour of younger (ie cheaper ones) is the same time that the stock market collapses. The rich guys got the tip-off from their buddies just before this happened, and dumped their over-priced stock on your sorry ass in plenty of time.
    Again, if you have a significant portion of your portfolio in stocks as you near retirement, you deserve to lose your shirt.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by gandolf989

Also Enron looked profitable right up until the end. How does an average investor know when they own stock in a company like Enron.
    First of all, the average investor shouldn't have the majority of his portfolio in indvidual stocks. Second, there will be some Enrons out there, but if you are paying someone to watch your position (ie. a professional money manager or a mutual fund) a complete loss won't devistate your portfolio.
    Jeff Hunter

I've told my boss that I'm nominating a special word or phrase each day, and when i read or hear it in a work-related communication I'm taking the rest of the day off.

Today's phrase was "circle jerk" -- I doubt I'll have to wait much longer for that one to pop up.
    If I could have picked, "That's SOP!" at my last job for my special phrase, I would have never had to work a full day. I would have been able to leave by 9 AM every morning!

I hope I don't hear, "circle jerk", at any job!
    Now since I quoted you does that count?

Very straightforward -- if you gave people the choice between paying taxes for some payback at a future date, and just having the money now, then people will just take it now. Will they invest it wisely for the future? Nope. They'll spend it on putting spinnas on their crap-mobile, or on booze, or be off to Vegas. So it has to be mandatory

OMG.....Your kidding aren't you?

Hey everyone! slimdave is one of them "cradle to gravers"

spinnas on their crap-mobile

ROFLMAO! My mobile might be crap, but you'll never catch me with spinners on it, I can guarandamntee everyone of that!
    Last edited by Alchemy; 02-09-2005 at 12:14 PM.
    Rick

Sigh.....those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end.
    I too remember when this place was coo.

... slimdave is one of them "cradle to gravers"...
    You know that the US has a higher infant mortality than France, or in fact any other western european nation? It's double that of Iceland.

Just an interesting fact that I point out whenever any of my repub friends mention that this is the greatest country on earth, and is specially blessed by the almighty.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Originally posted by marist89
    First of all, the average investor shouldn't have the majority of his portfolio in indvidual stocks. Second, there will be some Enrons out there, but if you are paying someone to watch your position (ie. a professional money manager or a mutual fund) a complete loss won't devistate your portfolio.
    The point I was trying to make was that most Americans have a significant investment in the current system. If we are going to complain about getting a bad return on our investment, why would we do something that will take away money from the system?

Everyone should have either a 401k or an IRA with the proper diversity and risk based on your needs and how far away you are from retirement. Not everyone has the foresight to do that. When people don't plan for the future, many end up costing us all money eventually. I personally am not planning on social security being solvent when I retire, but it would be a nice thing to have.

Our goals for social security should be first and foremost shoring it up financially, then look at giving people opions on where to put their money. Just my opinion. Anyone can borrow money to create another big government program, but the real work of paying for it takes hard work. Bush wants to create another big government program, and he wants to pay for it by cutting benefits.