DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8.1.7 DB Instance craetion on LINUX,ORA-error

8.1.7 DB Instance craetion on LINUX,ORA-error

Hi Everyone,

Big headscratcher for me: I have a new LINUX server and both Oracle 9i und Oracle 8.1.7 Server software have been installed. Setting up an instance for 9i wasn’t a problem, but when I try to install any instance under Oracle 8.1.7, something strange happens (I’m doing this on the command line using scripts and/or setting up by hand for testing purposes):

Environment is set to Oracle 8, ORACLE_SID is set, directories for the instance are created, I call svrmgrl, enter connect internal, everything fine until now.

Then I enter startup nomount pfile=[pathname to initora-file], and what I get after about 30 seconds is:
    ’ORA-03113: End-of-file on communication channel’.

But it gets stranger: From now on I can’t call svrmgrl with that ORACLE_SID without getting that ORA error immediately I call the svrmgrl, it doesnt even let me do a connect internal. But if I change the ORACLE_SID, I can connect internally again, until I try to do the startup nomount again, then I have the same problem with that new SID.

At first I thought something was wrong with the init.ora, but I checked and tested everything, but everything is fine there.

IPCS doesn’t show any oracle processes either. Does anyone have any ideas on this one?

Thanks
    Peer

how are your kernel settings, you might be blowing them

Kernel settings are OK, anyway, if they weren't the Oracle 9i instance wouldn't be running.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH ???
    -nagarjuna

All PATHs and other environment variables are OK for Oracle 8 environment, including JAVA paths etc.

Any errors in alert log file? Looks like a memory issue.
    -nagarjuna

Shutdown 9i instance,
    startup 8 using pfile.

Originally posted by Peer Jones
    Kernel settings are OK, anyway, if they weren't the Oracle 9i instance wouldn't be running.
    i said you might have blown them, i.e they are set too low for two instances

No alerts, but I have just noticed one thing: My $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory is filling up with core directories (and these with files).

In fact I get 4 new ones every time I start svrmgrl with the ORACLE_SID set to the 'wrong' instance.

Oh, and I did check again, and the kernel parameters are set to deal with loads of instances, if need be. Sorry.

Remember to set different ports for each instance. I had similar problem on big project using 816 and 9.1
    Able was I ere I saw Elba