DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to display traditional chinese in SQLPLUS

Unhappy How to display traditional chinese in SQLPLUS

After I set my database using NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET = UTF16, chinese character can be inserted successfully. However, chinese character cannot be display correctly in SQL PLUS using simple SQL select statement. (I'm using Windows 2000 Professional - English edition)

I have already try to set the registry value for NLS_LANG to AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8, AMERICAN_AMERICA.ZHT16MSWIN950, AMERICAN_AMERICA.ZHT16BIG5, TRADITIONAL CHINESE_TAIWAN.UTF8, TRADITIONAL CHINESE_TAIWAN.ZHT16MSWIN950, TRADITIONAL CHINESE_TAIWAN.ZHT16BIG5. However, none of them can solve the problem.

Any suggestion ???

Thank you for your help !!!

Hi,

You need to set something in Windows.

Go to Control Panel>Regional and Language Options.
    Then choose Advance tab, there will be a drop down menu for language.
    Choose your perferred Traditional Chinese from there, and click ok.

I think you may need the Windows Installation CD.

Basically, your English Windows do not have the Chinese language conversion.

That was how I solve this issue for my Taiwanese users.

Cheers
    Oracbase
    What's next after 10g?

Unhappy

Any other ways to display chinese characters in SQLPLUS without changing the regional setting ?

Because it may have some impacts for others applications.

Please help !!!
    Thank you very much !!!

Hi,

Of course you will definitely need to try it out on a test machine first.

However, I would not forsee any issues if you just want to view Chinese characters from SQLPLUS on your PC.

Unless you have a real requirement to view Chinese characters on the application server which is acting as the Oracle client to query the database server.

By installing chinesse in the windows regional settings for client PC, even SQLPLUS from a telnet session can view chinese characters correctly.

From my personal experience, our apps server is the client connecting to the datbase server(Traditional Chinese,TAIWAN), which is in English windows. Users accessing the apps server need to view Chinese data when they query data. So we end up installing Traditional Chinese onto the users windows PC regional setting.

Once Traditional Chinese is installed to the user's PC, they can still view both English & Traditional Chinese.

Cheers
    Oracbase
    What's next after 10g?

Thanks, I think the only way I can do is change the regional setting.
    Unfortunately, we have already see some problems after changing the regional setting.

Anyway, many many thanks !!!