DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: data dictionary corrupt!!!

Hi,
    I believe my data dictionary got corrupted. I can not drop user and returns ora-600. I contacted oracle support, but their service is so lousy....... and I can not wait.
    Question: If I export the whole db with sys user and drop database and recreate it and import back the whole database, will that work? Thanks for help.

have you seen any other errors, maybe in the alert log/trace files?

have you tried re-running the cat scripts? (catalog.sql, catproc.sql, etc)

did you open a tar with oracle or just post in a forum? open a tar, you'll most likely get a faster and more complete response.

i don't think export/import would fix your data dictionary, you need to re-create with the scripts anyway

[Edited by pwoneill on 11-30-2000 at 12:46 PM]

Yes, I opened a tar with oracle support and they are too slow. I just want to get a quick answer. Thanks for reponse. The trace file shows the ora-600 error and suggest to call oracle support,that is it. I quess I have to recreate the database anyway.

In this situation , when Oracle is not supporting, better to recreate which will be faster.
    Thanks
    Kishore Kumar

In this business, you sometimes just have to know when to punt. If you can identify when the data dictionary became corrupt (doubtfull), then you can do a restore. Otherwise, export/re-create/import would be your best solution.

You may want to check to see if you are on the latest patchset for your version. This may be a bug addressed in a later version.
    Jeff Hunter

I finally get answer back from oracle support. They told me I have to recreate the database, which am doing right now. Thanks for all your inputs.

Wink Tip for Support

In the future, if you have an urgent problem with your database and you aren't getting a response from Oracle, call in and ask for the TAR to be "Duty Managed". The manager on duty will call you back (less than 15 minutes) and speak with you. They will then assign the TAR to someone to be worked on immediately.