I am facing a problem with my Forms 6i applications that I created for the users. Users are complaining that they saved some data through the form and when they go back to that record and found that the info for a particular column is gone, for example, load_date is not there anymore, which according to them, they entered and saved it. I want to know how to approach this issue. This has happened many times and I want to know if I can implement something to resolve this issue or find out what is actually happening. The most irritating thing with it is that, when they try it in front of me, it's fine and saves it okay. Thanks.
You can put in alert messages alerting you to where the form is when the Save button is pressed (in pre-insert/update, on-insert/update, post - you get the idea). You can have a SQL*Plus session to query the table(s) to see if the data was inserted. You may have a logic error in the form that causes the commit to not take place at all - when it works in front of you, is it the same data? You can trace the session. Turn tracing on (in the form with alter session set sql_trace=true) right after a button press - you don't need it from when the form starts. Any combination of the above.
Thanks for your reply. I am not exactly sure when and why my form is not saving. It just happens every once in a while. Like the other day on Friday, they had some information saved and they told me on Monday the info was not there. I think I have to go with sql_trace to see what kind of information I can get it. I am not sure aware of how it works exactly. I have to do a little research on it. Just curious, what kind of information I can get if I do sql_trace. Thanks for your reply.
I have figured this thing out but my problem remains the same of finding the user activity with working with records, whether they saved somethingm and if they have, then why it's not there. I know it's hard for you guys to give me a solution but if you do come up with some idea the please fdo let me know.
Replying to your answer here. It's the same data like a date, according to the user they put in and saved it and when we go and have them enter and save it and it works fine. Normally, if the form doesn't save it gives you an error like 'unable to insert the date'. It has happened to other people as well so it's hard not believe them.
In one instance, there are two fields that they normally enter. The driver number and ticket number. When you enter driver# it pops up an alert to the user ask the user to fill in the ticket number#. They saved everything and then later next day they pulled up the same record, it held the ticket number but the driver number was gone. So, according to them, if the ticket number is there they must have put the driver number, or else why would they put the ticket number by itself, you know, what I mean. Things like this just baffles us, and I don't know what to look for. I am working on to improve my form but it's already clean and everything is based on blocks and the way it should be, in my opinion. Anyways, if you have suggestion on how to narrow something like this down, then please do so. I'm not a DBA or anything like that, I just develop forms and report and learn as things come along.
I just found out something that I can put in my form. I can create a log table and insert few columns that we normally get complaints for and insert everytime somebody pulls up and saves the form with the username, date and timestamp to see who saved when and with what. I hope this is helpful for others. Let me know, what you think. Thanks.