DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to limit number of sessions thru a dblink?

How to limit number of sessions thru a dblink?

Hi,

I have 3 Oracle servers, the first is Windows with 9i, the two others are AIX with 8i.

There are some users who use a VB application, wich connects to the windows server. On this server they select a view that select data from the second server thru a dblink.

On the second server, that view selects data from the third server thru another dblink.

Now, all these connections use the same username, and the same dblink.

I want to limit the number of concurrent sessions on the third server, because I have a limited number of licences.

I have created a profile on this server (the third one) with some limits (SESSIONS_PER_USER=5, IDLE_TIME=30, CONNECT_TIME=480). The user used by the dblink is assigned to this profile.

But even with theses limits, I still have a lot of connections (almost 20) and they remain INACTIVE for hours and even days.

It seems that the limits given by the profile don't apply to a user connected thru a dblink? Is it true?

Thanks!

=====
    But even with theses limits, I still have a lot of connections (almost 20) and they remain INACTIVE for hours and even days.

=========

Why do you worry about inactive sessions?

Tamil

Not sure, but could it be this :

http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...threadid=46105

I care about inactive sessions because they count for the number permited by my license. I have a limit on the number of concurrent sessions for this server.

As for the info provided in the link, it says that you need to commit a select when it's using a dblink. This discussion was about freeing roolback segments, but I think that maybe it explains why theses sessions don't get disconnected after the 30min delay, they have active transactions. Maybe if the application would do a commit after the select, it would release the transaction and the session could be disconnected after 30min of inactivity...

I'll have to test it.

Thanks a lot and I'll get back here to give you the results of my tests.