DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Dumb Oracle client install question

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    I ain't givin up yet, even if the whole world is against me.

"For example, running events against a database (tablespace full, buffer cache hit ratio) or browsing through the objects in a database via the Console Navigator tree"

What does that have to do with tuning SQL?

Too sensitive to be a good DBA, ha. You were not saying that during our political discussions!

Dave, I posted not one or two but three descriptions of OEM from Oracle's documentation describing it as a database management tool.
    No where does it mention that it is a nifty SQL tuning tool even in your own post.
    Poor Mr. Hanky, everyone is against you. :( What difference does it make to you what tools I use? Yes OEM is a "database management tool." But isn't it also a tool that can be used for tuning? When I was a DBA I would use it to monitor sessions to see what they were doing, check explain plans, look at available space in tables and tablespaces without having to type in a bunch of queries, etc. Most of which I should be able to do as a developer. It is a good tool to have available, even though there are other tools out there.

Try not to take it personally when I completely ignore your advice.

I try not to take anything personally in this forum. I said a long time ago that it was an outlet for me, I can't be this politically incorrect at work, so I come in here to blow off steam. I have the utmost respect for the knowledge that most people in here possess (even and especially Dave, much as I hate to admit it), I just can't help challenging anyone even if I do fall on my face. Ya gotta admit it was fun and I'm sure a few of you were frantically searching Oracle's docs to prove me wrong.

However, I still think it is a DBA tool and there are much better alternatives out there for tuning.
    I remember when this place was cool.

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    . . . even and especially Dave, much as I hate to admit it. . .
    Frustrating init!

Originally posted by DaPi
    Frustrating init!

Originally posted by thomasp
    I meant select any dictionary privilege.

So, do you have that granted to you. If then , I dont see any problem.
    with the select any dictionary priv you can conceivably see the passwords included with the creation of db links.

seriously, i've worked in a dozen or so ERP shops, if Quest went out of business tomorrow everyone of those developers would be on the chow line for TOAD is the life support system powering almost every developer I have met - maybe EM is cool for devleopers maybe not, I smell a vote coming on, what is the tool of choice for developers out there, I'll bet EM doesn't make the list of top 3
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Originally posted by stmontgo
    with the select any dictionary priv you can conceivably see the passwords included with the creation of db links.

seriously, i've worked in a dozen or so ERP shops, if Quest went out of business tomorrow everyone of those developers would be on the chow line for TOAD is the life support system powering almost every developer I have met - maybe EM is cool for devleopers maybe not, I smell a vote coming on, what is the tool of choice for developers out there, I'll bet EM doesn't make the list of top 3
    best free tool?

Originally posted by davey23uk
    best free tool?
    no of course, not free, like 800 bucks
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

The more I think about this the more I realize that EM is NOT a development tool, it is not even good for SQL tuning. Having a role created to monitor events has nothing to do with tuning.
    Lecco?, hell yeah.
    EM?, no.
    I remember when this place was cool.