DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle 10g R2 on Winows 2000

Oracle 10g R2 on Winows 2000

Hi all,

I have a system which is an Compact ProLiant ML570 with 4 CPUs (x86 Family 6 Intel 701 Mhz), 1 Gb of memory, eight disks and one disk controller.). It is running on Windows 2000 with several instances of Oracle databases at 9i. Now we want to audit the system for an install of Oracle 10g R2. Reading up on Metallink suggests that we need:

Physical memory (RAM)
    256 MB minimum; 512 MB recommended
    Virtual memory
    Double the amount of RAM
    Disk space
    Basic Installation Type total: 2.04 GB
    Advanced Installation Types total: 1.94 GB
    Video adapter
    256 colors
    Processor
    550 MHz minimum

We about 40GB spare on our file system. I think our spec is sufficient for us to install 10g on this box on top of the rest of the dbs we have. I was just a bit sceptical about 10g on a Windows 2000 box, just wanted to know if everyone thinks this is ok and our spec is fine for the install?

Thanks in advance,
    Chucksk

10g is wupported ion Windows 2000 so thats not a problem.

1gb of ram for lots of DB's is however a problem

I don't know how anyone could know the answer without having a better understanding of the apps that run on your server, size, number of user, how much it is taxing the current server, are you upgrading to 10g or adding new databases.

you might want to use this as an opportunity to upgrade to a new server. If not then at least upgrade the memory. Two GB should be the minumum.

Hi Davey,

Thanks for that. Just had confirmation that we have 3 databases which will be upgraded to 10g so with 1GB of memory we should be ok?

no, you wont. OS needs a couple of hundred megabytes for the OS itself. You wont be able to allocate hardly anything to the databases

I would get a total 4 GB (shouldn't cost much more then 600$) .
    Otherwise I wouldn't migrate to 10g.
    Last edited by mike9; 10-27-2006 at 09:26 AM.

Thanks for all the tips guys. One more question, i have upgraded several databases from 8/9i to 10g on a Unix platform. Before the upgrade Oracle had an pre-install script which reported on whether the db was ready for the upgrade or not. Is there a similar counterpart to Windows? I have been trawling Metallink but cannot find one?

Thanks in advance,
    Chucksk