I have a bit of an issue that i need some guidance with. I need to create a database link with the sysdba privledge so that i can read from a Pipe used to send and recieve commands from RMAN.

Background
==========

I have written a backup package that runs from the target a completes the following steps:-

1. Schedules a job to start an RMAN session connecting to the catalog, target and opening a pipe in 30 seconds
2. Waits to recieve input from the RMAN session pipe when it opens
3. Performs required configuration and backups
4. quits RMAN

This all works swimmingly, however i am looking to implement this on 8 sites each runnning 3,4 or 5 dbs. so to save myself some implementation time i want to run the scripts from the catalog instead (Therefore i only have to implement 8 times instead a possible 36!).

So i have moved the code into the catalog and am updating it to run from a central location. i have completed the following for this:-
1. From the catalog db i start an RMAN session from within oracle via a dbms job.
2. Now i need to send the required commands down the pipe from the target to the rman session to complete the steps in my backup.

I thought that i could do this using database links. I have created the database link with a user called rman to the target from the catalog, and i start the rman session to both the target and catalog using the RMAN user(the rman user has sysdba granted). However, it appears that the private pipe created by RMAN is always owned by sys, so therefore my RMAN user doesnt appear to have the privs required to access it. Can you Help me? is there any way to open a link as the sys user? Am i going about this completely the wrong way?

I am running a series of stored procedures from catalog database to
backup the target database via rman using pipes.

The stored procedure creates a dbms_job scheduled for 30 seconds later to start an rman session with the following command line call:-

rman pipe catalog rman/@catbak target rman/@prod

This part works ok, and after about 32 seconds your can see that the required private pipes have been opened on the TARGET database by the RMAN executable, but this is where the problem begins. These private pipes are owned by sys as shown below:-

SQL> select * from v$db_pipes;
OWNERID
----------
NAME
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TYPE PIPE_SIZE
------- ----------
ORA$RMAN_000800030001_IN
PRIVATE 873
ORA$RMAN_000800030001_OUT
PRIVATE 978
SQL>

And my dblink is created with the RMAN user (the one used in the RMAN executable call) so i dont have access to this pipe!!
So after a 40 second programmed pause the next thing the procedure does wait to recieved a message from the pipe

v_status := dbms_pipe.Receive_message@TARGET(lv_OutPipeName, 92);

and after the timeout i get the following error:-

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-20999: ORA-20001: -23322:ORA-23322: Privilege error accessing pipe
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SYS_ERROR", line 86
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_PIPE", line 174 at
[RMANBackup_PKG.OpenBackupPipe('000800030001');] at
[RMANBackup_PKG.BackupDatabase();]
ORA-06512: at "SYS.RMANBACKUP_PKG", line 52
ORA-06512: at line 1

I know that i cant access the pipe because i dont have permissions because i'm not the owner, thats fair enough - So i need to do one of the following to resolve this i feel

1. Open the dblink between the CATALOG and the TARGET using the sysdba priv so that i have access to the pipe or....
2. Change the way that RMAN opens its pipes so that it opens the pipes to the target as user connecting to the TARGET so that i can open my link to the TARGET from the CATALOG with the same user - hence no problem as i should have all the required permissions.

Can you help me out on either of the above or point me in another direction to get this done???
I really dont want to use scripts to run my RMAN backups as i dont like the idea of passwords being put into files, my sites are hospitals and what with patient confidentiality and the fact i have to share my servers with other databases that are maintained by other companys the thought of leaving passwords in files for any period of time doesnt sit very well!.

Many thanks for any input you can provide.

regards,

Adam