DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Idle Time Error

Idle Time Error

Hi, My developers get Idle time error, if they do not use for more than 30 min. 02396 exceeded maximum idle time, please connect again. How do i reset the idle time to 2 hours.
    I checked in dba_profiles and default idle time shows 120. Where can i set idle time for the users to be more than 2 hours. Is 120 not same as 2 hours ? Kindly help.

Thanks

Re: Idle Time Error

Originally posted by srt
    Hi, My developers get Idle time error, if they do not use for more than 30 min. 02396 exceeded maximum idle time, please connect again. How do i reset the idle time to 2 hours.
    I checked in dba_profiles and default idle time shows 120. Where can i set idle time for the users to be more than 2 hours. Is 120 not same as 2 hours ? Kindly help.

Thanks
    120 minutes = 2 hours

You probably need to set

resource_limit = TRUE

in your parameter file. This activates profile resource limits.

Have you checked dba_users to see which profile the developers are using?

(AFAIK, you won't get a timeout like this unless resource_limit=TRUE)

You probably need to set

resource_limit = TRUE

in your parameter file. This activates profile resource limits.
    May be missing something here, but doesn't the fact that people are being disconnected after a period of idle time suggest that this parameter is already set. All the databases I've seen have resource_limit set to FALSE and nobody ever gets disconnected.

Are you sure that you don't have multiple profiles setup and you didn't check the right one for the users who are disconnected after 30 minutes?

[editing] sorry Dapi, your post wasn't there when I started typing!

My point was

(in answer to "Where can i set idle time for the users to be more than 2 hours."),

that you will pick up the default profile limits, even if you change the limits, UNLESS you have resource_limit set to TRUE, otherwise your changes will be ignored.

I think.....

Not sure about that. I use profiles to manage password aging etc. but have resource_limit set to false, so all the other stuff like idle time doesn't kick in. I'd need to test this to be sure though, it could be that idle time etc. are actuallly set to unlimited so I've never realised that those settings were actually in effect.

Resource_limit is already set to true.
    I have three profiles. Default -120 min, sysadm - unlimited, developer - 30 min.

But all my users has Default profile granted. Is there any way it could take the developer profile idle time ?

Does this query definitely return no records? (I'm sure you've tried this already):

Code:
    SELECT username FROM dba_users WHERE  profile != 'DEFAULT'