DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Periodic db restarts

Question Periodic db restarts

A colleague running 9.2 on HP-UX asked Oracle Support if it was a good idea to stop and start his db on a daily basis. Support replied:
    Yes, if the circumstance permit it, shutting down cleanly and restarting an instance once a day will lessen the negative effects of memory fragmentation and in some cases counter the negative effects of any gradual memory leaks.
    Any comments?

The oracle support guy might have joined last week after graduating from MIT.

Tamil

Sounds more like a windoze response then a Unix response.
    I remember when this place was cool.

Insert favorite MCSE joke here

All kidding aside, taken completely out of context, this statement is absurd. However, if your instance was crashing every 26 hours because of memory leaks, this might be a semi-reasonable suggestion.
    Last edited by marist89; 12-27-2004 at 12:54 PM.
    Jeff Hunter

and one day it wont restart, then you are in trouble

Question: Why would stopping and starting a database on a daily basis be a bad thing. I ask because I do not know the nuances of the database yet.
    Rick

Sigh.....those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end.
    I too remember when this place was coo.

because chances are it wull be unattended, meaning it might not come back - then you come in at 9.00 am and your users are screaming to high hell.

Also - you clear you buffer cache meaning a load more pio's
    clear out the shared pool, meaning loads more parsing = loads more latches = loads more cpu = slower queries till it gets warmed up.

Benefits? none really, unless you have a crash every 26 hours as jeff said - but then you have bigger fish to fry

Originally posted by davey23uk
    because chances are it wull be unattended, meaning it might not come back - then you come in at 9.00 am and your users are screaming to high hell.

clear out the shared pool, meaning loads more parsing = loads more latches = loads more cpu = slower queries till it gets warmed up.

Benefits? none really, unless you have a crash every 26 hours as jeff said - but then you have bigger fish to fry
    Absolutely

Think of the number of times a car has broken down on you. Chances are it hasn't been while you were driving along at steady speed -- it failed to start in the morning, or after work, or when you engaed reverse. In other words, things usually break when they change.

This is the kind of asinine advice that gives support a bad name -- not just Oracle, but any support team.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Everything is being thrown at it at once, first thing in the morning, when it was in there from the previous day. Leaving everything cached, as you go along.

Think of the number of times a car has broken down on you. Chances are it hasn't been while you were driving along at steady speed -- it failed to start in the morning, or after work, or when you engaed reverse. In other words, things usually break when they change.

If a dba were to clear all caches then stop the database, and IT crashes then the dba is up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

Thanks.
    Rick

Sigh.....those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end.
    I too remember when this place was coo.

Originally posted by Alchemy
    If a dba were to clear all caches then stop the database, and IT crashes then the dba is up the proverbial creek without a paddle.
    While shutting down a database might cause it to be slower when it restarts, shutting down and restarting a database will not affect the ability of a DBA to recover that database.

Are you saying that shutting down a database could cause a database to be unrecoverable?