DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Restarting Oracle After Hardware failure

Restarting Oracle After Hardware failure

Hello All

Right now we have an Oracle 8.1.7.4 Dbse running in noarchivelog mode on an Dell Server.

The O\S is Windows 2000.

Just trying to get a handle on what the implications would be for this.

The Oracle Databse and software is located on a Symmentrix 'F' Drive.

I did an 'Alter Database backup controlfile to Trace' (this file is on the F drive)

I shutdown the database and set all services to stopped, and startup option of Manual.

During downtime, the Motherboard was being replaced, After which the server would not boot up.

It has since booted up successfully(after replacing the replaced motherboard!!) & All is well :-)

The services and the software interface would have been on the sever before the bootup problem.

If Server had to be rebuilt, what would the DBA have to do to get the Database(which was shutdown & unaffected by hardware problem)
    on F drive backup and running successfully?

Seeing as the services and software menu options would have been gone off the server after server had been rebuilt.

Many thanks in advance to all who can offer an opinion. If i was not clear enough please let me know & i'll provide further details.
    Carpe Diem

Re: Restarting Oracle After Hardware failure

Originally posted by Barabas
    Hello All

Right now we have an Oracle 8.1.7.4 Dbse running in noarchivelog mode on an Dell Server.

The O\S is Windows 2000.

Just trying to get a handle on what the implications would be for this.

The Oracle Databse and software is located on a Symmentrix 'F' Drive.

I did an 'Alter Database backup controlfile to Trace' (this file is on the F drive)

I shutdown the database and set all services to stopped, and startup option of Manual.

During downtime, the Motherboard was being replaced, After which the server would not boot up.

It has since booted up successfully(after replacing the replaced motherboard!!) & All is well :-)

The services and the software interface would have been on the sever before the bootup problem.

If Server had to be rebuilt, what would the DBA have to do to get the Database(which was shutdown & unaffected by hardware problem)
    on F drive backup and running successfully?

Seeing as the services and software menu options would have been gone off the server after server had been rebuilt.

Many thanks in advance to all who can offer an opinion. If i was not clear enough please let me know & i'll provide further details.
    recreate the service, start the db up - simple :-) as long as the path names are still the same

I'm not sure it's that simple. You will have lost the registry (I presume), and with it the definition of the oracle_home(s). You'll need to create the listener service too - (which involves being able to spell lsnrctl ).

If this was something important, I wouldn't trust anything other than reinstalling the oracle soft - don't forget to save the /network/admin/*.ora - but then I'm not a registry hacker.

Please reconsider puting the db in archivelog mode . . .

thanks for the replies.

Yeah the registry would be gone also if we had to re-build the server.

I am'nt a registry hacker either, but we would have a copy of the registry taken also.

So in this instance, replace the registery, and re-create services does that sound like it would do the trick??

This is an App that does not require ARCHIVELOG mode, data could be recovered from elsewhere also, but thanks for the advice!
    Carpe Diem

well i assumed when you rebuilt the server you would re-install oracle software so the registry would be ok.

then you can just recreate the service and startup

This is an App that does not require ARCHIVELOG mode, data could be recovered from elsewhere also, but thanks for the advice!
    Elsewhere ?? A datawarehouse I presume?
    There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and benchmarks...

Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it's friends are.

Oracle DBA