DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle control file inconsistent error!!!

Oracle control file inconsistent error!!!

Hello guys,

I have a situation with my control file. I ran a procedure on a table that was updating the table and my procedure caused my database to crash. I am running Oracle 8i on windows NT. After the crash of my server, i will get this ORA-01033 Oracle initialization or shutdown in progress. I used DBA Studio to do shutdown abort and and then restarted the server. But when i try to mount the database it gives me another error saying,

ORA-00214 controlfile 'string' version string inconsistent with file 'string' version string

Cause: An inconsistent set of control files, datafiles, and redo log files was used.

Action: Use a consistent set of control files, datafiles, and redo log files. That is, all the files must be for the same database and from the same time period.

What do i do now to make them consistent? Any help would be very helpful. Thanks alot.

Perform incomplete recovery using a backup controlfile or simply recreate it.

Note 94114.1 on Metalink can give you a good overview of different recovery scenarios.

btw, you'd better stop everything and back up your actual situation before trying any type of recovery. Save what you still have.
    An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.
    —Friedrich Engels

Originally posted by adrianomp
    Perform incomplete recovery using a backup controlfile or simply recreate it.

Note 94114.1 on Metalink can give you a good overview of different recovery scenarios.

btw, you'd better stop everything and back up your actual situation before trying any type of recovery. Save what you still have.
    whoa hold up there a sec, are you sure you are strarting the db with the same set of control files? for instance db studio uses it's own init file, are you sure that is the same one used by the server?
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Originally posted by stmontgo
    whoa hold up there a sec, are you sure you are strarting the db with the same set of control files? for instance db studio uses it's own init file, are you sure that is the same one used by the server?
    well, as far as I know, DBA Studio uses the default init file unless you define other stored configuration when start the database, to make shure the init file is the original one I recomend to shutdown database, then stop the service and start it again, this will start the database with the default init file.

Originally posted by stmontgo
    Hm... didn't knew that. In fact, I never shutdown/startup databases remotely, always use a local connection (of course, SSH terminals and Remote Desktop are considered local).

I really don't trust DBA Studio that much.

But if you are correct, he doesn't need recovery at all.
    An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.
    —Friedrich Engels

Originally posted by adrianomp
    Hm... didn't knew that. In fact, I never shutdown/startup databases remotely, always use a local connection (of course, SSH terminals and Remote Desktop are considered local).

I really don't trust DBA Studio that much.

But if you are correct, he doesn't need recovery at all.
    well it's just something to check, pre spfile I am pretty sure the EM tool maintained it's own init file
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message