DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: database can mount but not open. Can I get data out?

database can mount but not open. Can I get data out?

Hello...

8.1.7 on Win2k-Serv. My database can be mounted but not opened. Apparently there's trouble with the DR01.DBF. Unfortunatly backups are corrupted, too.

Can I still get data and/or table structure out of it?

Thx,
    D.

You cannot get back your data with mount stage.
    You have to open the database.
    How ever, if you are willing to pay a huge amt (in $$$$), then oracle can recover the data.

Tamil

Originally posted by tamilselvan
    You cannot get back your data with mount stage.
    You have to open the database.
    How ever, if you are willing to pay a huge amt (in $$$$), then oracle can recover the data.

Tamil
    DUL data unloader, not a pleasant proposition -)

Realy though what's wrong with the db, perhaps an error might be of use to us, it's xmas afterall and perhaps we can help
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Re: database can mount but not open. Can I get data out?

Originally posted by dsmcd
    Hello...

8.1.7 on Win2k-Serv. My database can be mounted but not opened. Apparently there's trouble with the DR01.DBF. Unfortunatly backups are corrupted, too.

Can I still get data and/or table structure out of it?

Thx,
    D.
    If you have enough redo and or archive logs you should be able to recover. Are you in archive log mode? Have you tried using the recover database command? You can use this command even if you aren't in archivelog mode, which you should be, however you will be limited in what you can recover from. But you won't know until you try.

Cannot recreate the error anymore. Either my HDD is going bad or my troubleshooting has made things worse. Orginally, when opening the database from DBAStudio I would receive an error somthing to the affect of "error reading DR01.DBF. File needs to be reconvered from backup."

Wish I could give you more, but I suspect I'm going to have give this all up for morbid. :-\

Thanks,
    D.

Cannot recreate the error anymore. Either my HDD is going bad or my troubleshooting has made things worse. Orginally, when opening the database from DBAStudio I would receive an error somthing to the affect of "error reading DR01.DBF. File needs to be reconvered from backup."

Wish I could give you more, but I suspect I'm going to have give this all up for morbid. :-\

Thanks,
    D.
    Have you tried opening the database from svrmgrl? Have you looked at the alert log, it is in $ORACLE_BASE\admin\{SIDNAME}\udump? i.e. c:\Oracle\Admin\mydb\udump\mydbalert.log, or something like that.

Did you delete any of you data files? If you are trying to learn Oracle, then resovling this, if you can, would be good training.

Originally posted by gandolf989
    Have you tried opening the database from svrmgrl? Have you looked at the alert log, it is in $ORACLE_BASE\admin\{SIDNAME}\udump? i.e. c:\Oracle\Admin\mydb\udump\mydbalert.log, or something like that.

Did you delete any of you data files? If you are trying to learn Oracle, then resovling this, if you can, would be good training.
    My alert logs are now showing:
    Mon Dec 20 14:10:28 2004
    Errors in file C:\oracle\admin\PTRANS\bdump\ptransSMON.TRC:
    ORA-00376: file 1 cannot be read at this time
    ORA-01110: data file 1: 'C:\ORACLE\ORADATA\PTRANS\SYSTEM01.DBF'

which is a surprise, as before there was no indication of any trouble there. As for svrmgrl, I'll look into it.

This is a database that went from guick-n-dirty to live without anyone telling me, leaving its backups in a sorry state to say the least. Hoo boy.

Thx,
    D.

My alert logs are now showing:
    Mon Dec 20 14:10:28 2004
    Errors in file C:\oracle\admin\PTRANS\bdump\ptransSMON.TRC:
    ORA-00376: file 1 cannot be read at this time
    ORA-01110: data file 1: 'C:\ORACLE\ORADATA\PTRANS\SYSTEM01.DBF'

which is a surprise, as before there was no indication of any trouble there. As for svrmgrl, I'll look into it.

This is a database that went from guick-n-dirty to live without anyone telling me, leaving its backups in a sorry state to say the least. Hoo boy.

Thx,
    D.
    in your original post you mentioned trouble with DR01.DBF.

Why can't the file not be read, is it there?

Originally posted by stmontgo
    in your original post you mentioned trouble with DR01.DBF.

Why can't the file not be read, is it there?
    Yes. It's there and where it should be. FYI...trouble began when someone tried to create a new database and ran out of freespace before the creation completed. Crashed the server while the database I'm having trouble with was active.

Thanks,
    D.

Yes. It's there and where it should be. FYI...trouble began when someone tried to create a new database and ran out of freespace before the creation completed. Crashed the server while the database I'm having trouble with was active.

Thanks,
    D.
    oooh. could they have tried to create the system df where your system df was an overwrote that one? hmmm? perhaps?