DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oracle Master Certification

Oracle Master Certification

Only 65 in the world ?

2k per test?

Is there a way around the 2 instructor-lead classes?

Do DBA's think it is worthwhile to pursue ? Someone would have to repeat it for every major release, this gets expensive.

Hi.

I would like to do it but I cannot justify the cost. If your company will pay then go ahead. It can't do any harm and you get a light sabre

Oracle expect a certain number of OCAs and OCPs to qualify for some types of partners. If they start to require OCMs then some companies will start to want it, but only the big ones like Quest and Veritas etc.

Cheers

Tim...
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

That sounds about right for Oracle. Come up with a way to make money and when nobody thinks its worthwhile force your parters to do it.
    Jeff Hunter

Well I could use a new light saber, old one just barely glows.

I guess I thought if you had the Master then you could prolly field some good ( experience and pay ) consulting gigs, build up a stable of large clients and work less for more buckage

I mean if that could be assumed to the consequence of parting with the moolaa then I could view it as an investment. OTOH it could also land you in some very hairy snakepits. Mission impossible type gigs.

Hi.

I think one look at this Certification forum tells you everything you need to know about certification.

When I first joined the forum I had just completed the Oracle9i beta upgrade exam and there were constantly people posting questions here. Since that point this forum as all but dried up.

I don't think anyone really takes certification seriously anymore because most companies have ruined their certification programs by trying to get too many people through them, not matter what it takes.

When I was a kid having a degree was pretty special. Now in the UK they are a dime a dozen so you need some postgrad qualifications to stand out. The same is true of OCP. They've made is easier to get so it means less.

Call me cynical, but that's my take.

The OCM sounds like a much better test of a persons skills but they have priced it out of the reach of most ordinary DBAs, rather than making it exclusive based on difficulty.

Cheers

Tim...
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

I suppose it depends where you are.

OCP still carries some weight in WA. But there again so does driving a 5 ltr V8 Ute and keeping your wife barefoot and in the kitchen (I haven't tried it with mine but the thought is paradise!)

I still like the OCP as a good way to get into new features and by the time you've studied the book, done the examples and worked with the product, a couple of hundred bucks for a test doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

When I left the UK, most employers couldn't give a stuff about it.

Having said that, certification as an idea doesn't make that much sense to me. If you are good enough to do the OCP and certainly the OCM then do you need the cert? I guess it's all down to the perceived quality of the certification.

Cheers all

I think when the chips are down, when the economy has nearly halted - its a plus. A contract ended right before the Iraq war, there was no jobs in Colorado period. I was flying to New Jersey and Chicago for interviews. A local company in the mountains posted a position. I submitted. What I found out later was they took the 500 resumes they got and handed them to a consultancy who then handed 5 back saying 'you will be happy with any one of these'. I was in the five and made it through the interviews and got the job. So I think its a plus. I guess the Master Certification would be a double plus for 20x the cost.

Talking

BJE_DBA

I am kinda curious on how you got that number of 65. It does sound right. But I am wonder is there an official list? I have always wanted Oracle to post names, certification level and passed date on some sort of verification website.

I was just surfing across the web and read a story about it, I'll see if I can find the links that I likely emailed to colleagues.

Just heard about a friend of a friend who paid lots of money to go to UK from New Zealand for test and failed...
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com