DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: soft pare versus hard parse

We're waiting on you to verify the data and post the query.

Dapi,

I agree with you that there is only 31 million in a year but she said there is no typo which makes not to understand either.
    sorry, I forgot to mention that to you the other day, I did veify the data and it's correct.

what do you think why that elasped time is so huge, could it be a lock somewhere??? but at the same time, it's only a "SELECT" statement
    Last edited by learning_bee; 12-17-2004 at 10:29 AM.

Originally posted by learning_bee
    Dapi,

I agree with you that there is only 31 million in a year but she said there is no typo which makes not to understand either.
    sorry, I forgot to mention that to you the other day, I did veify the data and it's correct.

what do you think why that elasped time is so huge, could it be a lock somewhere??? but at the same time, it's only a "SELECT" statement
    Isn't it obvious that it's a bug? The query didn't really take that long to run. How long did it really take?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

The trace file should give some hint as to what you're waiting on.

I'd suggest to use the Trace Analyser: http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/...&p_id=224270.1

the job took about 3 days to complete and other dba think it's a lock somewhere on other processes but I disagree with them but I can't prove it.

Originally posted by learning_bee
    the job took about 3 days to complete and other dba think it's a lock somewhere on other processes but I disagree with them but I can't prove it.
    ask them to prove it is a lock then

neither of you can what it is or isnt without the proof

can someone post the query or whatever is lol

Originally posted by DaPi
    I'd suggest to use the Trace Analyser: http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/...&p_id=224270.1
    This might not be such a bright idea after all - my guess is that the trace file is VAST - the analyser might take three days to read it!

You'll need to open the trace file with something that doesn't try to read it all into memory - how about "type" or "more" or . . ? - then see what it says about waiting.

Originally posted by DaPi
    This might not be such a bright idea after all - my guess is that the trace file is VAST - the analyser might take three days to read it!

You'll need to open the trace file with something that doesn't try to read it all into memory - how about "type" or "more" or . . ? - then see what it says about waiting.
    You might be able to grep it if you are using unix.

Sorry, I was trying to use the code so it's easier to read but I couldn't do it, could someone tell me how so I can use it next time.

Any way, come back to my problemI was suspecting the elapsed time was wrong so I request my colleague to take another trace. anyway, below is the new update elapsed time and gain the number is so huge:

/code:

call count cpu elapsed disk query current rows
    ------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
    Parse 585 42.054156502209.87 0 18073 0 0
    Execute 469 0.78 56.87 175 733 307 60
    Fetch 345 0.21 21.65 19 4720 0 51
    ------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
    total 1399 43.054156502209.39 194 23526 307 111

/code

Also she mentioned about couple trace file that were start with p and s so I guess it had something to do with pmon and smon. Also there were errors on one of those s file: ora-00604. below is what I think and please tell me if my approach is wrong:

they currently set process=150 and it's cluster env so I think this number is too low. that could possible give an error and the new processes were created and that could caus the lock.

anyone had any other suugestion???
    Last edited by learning_bee; 12-20-2004 at 04:20 PM.