DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you understand this Oracle Documentation

any other feedback is wellcome.

On monday I will tell you how Oracle Support wants that we understand this sentence.

Originally posted by mike9
    On monday I will tell you how Oracle Support wants that we understand this sentence.
    The suspense is killing

Would be glade to get some more feedback.
    So tell me please how YOU understand the last sentence of the following paragraph (I'm not interested to know how it realy works but only how you interpret the text).
    You can skip all tablespaces in the target database except the SYSTEM tablespace, undo tablespaces, and tablespaces containing rollback segments. RMAN does not check for completeness. For example, you can duplicate a data tablespace but not the tablespace containing the index for the data, or duplicate a tablespace that contains only one partition of a partitioned table.
    http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...ta27.htm#81553

Originally posted by mike9
    Would be glade to get some more feedback.
    So tell me please how YOU understand the last sentence of the following paragraph (I'm not interested to know how it realy works but only how you interpret the text).http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...ta27.htm#81553
    sounds obvious to me - when duplicating data intergirty isnt maintained or checked for

I wonder what is so confusing in that paragraph, even I understand it fully

To me, it's ambiguous or possibly wrong. Leaving out the OR part, the structure is:
    You can XXXX but not YYYY.

Normally this means: You can XXXX but you are forbidden to YYYY.

Their meaning is: You can XXXX without being obliged to YYYY.

If you know the answer you will read it as intended. I had never come across partial duplication before (or at least I only read the head-lines in the doc) and I had the same trouble as Mike9.

because I closed the TAR related to this issue I give you the way that Oracle Support wants that you understand this sentence:

For example, you can duplicate a data tablespace

BUT NOT

the tablespace containing the index for the data,
    or
    Duplicate a tablespace that contains only one partition of a partitioned table
    which means that you can NOT duplicate a tablespace containing a partition of a table which has other partitions stored in other tablespaces which are not restored.

Last edited by mike9; 12-10-2004 at 11:02 AM.

. . . that would mean that you can't duplicate the TS containing the indexes

NO NO NO . . . ", or duplicate" must be the start of a new example - there are TWO indicators: the comma and the repetition of the word duplicate.
    Last edited by DaPi; 12-10-2004 at 11:11 AM.

I have a killer recipe for brownies if anyone wants it.
    I remember when this place was cool.

Designed & built a system once that acquired a cake as its symbol (long story). The on-line help for the utilities menu gave the recipe (more useful than most of the utilities).