Migrate from Sun to Linux Oracle 9i
DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Migrate from Sun to Linux Oracle 9i

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    68

    Migrate from Sun to Linux Oracle 9i

    DBAs:

    Can anyone of you share info about how to convert from Sun Oracle to Linux Oracle on 9i database. We have a DWH system about 200 GB that needs to be converted. We have all our oracle on SUN or creating new environments on Linux, but we want to convert now.

    Export Import does not work for us since the database is used in the morning and nights we populate with feeds

    RMAN does not work (Sun to Linux)

    Cold Bkup does not work (Sun to Linux)

    So, what are other solutions?
    Any experiences or documentation or links

    Thanks, ST2003

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    England
    Posts
    7,331

    Re: Migrate from Sun to Linux Oracle 9i

    Originally posted by st2003
    DBAs:

    Can anyone of you share info about how to convert from Sun Oracle to Linux Oracle on 9i database. We have a DWH system about 200 GB that needs to be converted. We have all our oracle on SUN or creating new environments on Linux, but we want to convert now.

    Export Import does not work for us since the database is used in the morning and nights we populate with feeds

    RMAN does not work (Sun to Linux)

    Cold Bkup does not work (Sun to Linux)

    So, what are other solutions?
    Any experiences or documentation or links

    Thanks, ST2003
    sqlplus copy

    insert over a db link

    exp / imp

    dump to flat files and sql*loader

    you rule out exp / imp so you are stuck with one of the others

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    greenwich.ct.us
    Posts
    9,095
    yup, thems your only options.
    Jeff Hunter
    marist89@yahoo.com
    http://marist89.blogspot.com/
    Get Firefox!
    "I pledge to stop eating sharks fin soup and will not do so under any circumstances."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    68
    All these take a lot of time.

    DB link and 200GB ?

    Thanks, ST2003

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,967
    Originally posted by st2003
    All these take a lot of time.

    DB link and 200GB ?

    Thanks, ST2003
    You could do multiple exports and import them in parallel with importing indexes. Then create all of you indexes in parallel.

    It seems that you want the databases to be insync before you do your daily load, then do the daily load on the new system. Because, why would you load the current day and then migrate it. In any event you may need some downtime.
    this space intentionally left blank

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    greenwich.ct.us
    Posts
    9,095
    Yes, it takes time to move 200G.

    There was an interesting solution posted a couple months back. Somebody used Quest Shareplex to setup a standby database on another platform. When the time to switch came, it was a two second switch. You'd have to search for details. Also, seemed like a pretty high price to pay for a one time event, but if you're willing to pay anything for near-zero downtime...
    Jeff Hunter
    marist89@yahoo.com
    http://marist89.blogspot.com/
    Get Firefox!
    "I pledge to stop eating sharks fin soup and will not do so under any circumstances."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    68
    Can the Quest Shareplex be used for such scenario?

    Sun Os to Linux ?

    Thanks, ST2003

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,967
    Originally posted by st2003
    Can the Quest Shareplex be used for such scenario?

    Sun Os to Linux ?

    Thanks, ST2003
    Have you looked at Quest's website?
    this space intentionally left blank

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,187

    Re: Migrate from Sun to Linux Oracle 9i

    Originally posted by st2003
    DBAs:

    Can anyone of you share info about how to convert from Sun Oracle to Linux Oracle on 9i database. We have a DWH system about 200 GB that needs to be converted. We have all our oracle on SUN or creating new environments on Linux, but we want to convert now.

    Export Import does not work for us since the database is used in the morning and nights we populate with feeds

    RMAN does not work (Sun to Linux)

    Cold Bkup does not work (Sun to Linux)

    So, what are other solutions?
    Any experiences or documentation or links

    Thanks, ST2003
    I saw that 10g has transportable tablespaces across platforms, too bad for you though on 9i ;-)
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width