DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: problem with orainst

I'm having a problem with orainst that seems to want to slow my productivity.

I'm trying to apply patch 8.0.5.2.1 on my 8.0.5.1.0 database. When I select the products to install (rdbms and precompiler patches), it yells at me saying that there are still sgadefSID.dbf files in my $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory.

The first time I tried to patch there were files there, not from any open instances but from some old unused instances whatever consultant set up this database used before I got here. I removed the files, double checked that the instances were unused and not running, and it still complains about the files being there. I've restarted the installer but no luck.

Any ideas?

Ok I found the problem but I'm not sure about the solution.

When it prompts me for my ORACLE_LINK directory, what it gives me is my ORACLE_BASE/product, which is what I've accepted.

Then when it tries to use the dbsup.sh script to see if there are any sga files, it tries to use a path which turns out to effectivly be

/app/oracle/product/rdbms/install/rdbms (ORACLE_LINK/rdbms)

of course that directory doesn't exist as the first rdbms subdirectory is in ORACLE_HOME, or /app/oracle/product/8.0.5.

so when it tries to use the dbsup.sh script it's not there, so it must return 1 which is more than 0 so it thinks sgadef files were found.

I'm pretty sure I can workaround by just creating the subdirectories under /app/oracle/product and put a copy of the dbsup.sh script there, but is this the correct way? What is the proper value for the ORACLE_LINK directory?

ok so i looked at the help for oracle_link and it's the place where we ran start.sh for installation.

since this was a dump from the consultants machine we never ran start.sh, just copied over the software.

if i mount the cd can i just find the correct place on the cd and use that for the oracle_link?