DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Intial extent calcuation size - urgent

I have table with 5 columns each column length varchar2(4000). This table will have approx 150000 rows every year. I am planning for creating a seperate tablespace for this table because of its row size .
    While calculating rowsize i did it as below

5* 4000 + 15( Column overhead of 3 bytes because col length is more than 250 bytes) + 3 (Row overhead) . 20018 bytes per row

20018 * 150000 = Approx 2.8 Gig.
    I have enough space. Is it a good idea to have a intial extent of 2.8 gig size ? Please advise
    Thanks

Sure, you can create a table with that large of an initial extent.

Can i use clob's instead ? JDBC will be retreving values from this table. I never tried CLOB's.
    Thanks

Will i get lot of chained rows because of size of my row ? I think i will get that problem. If so what should i do?
    Thanks

You could go ahead and create that large of an extent, but it tends to be a little unwieldy. You might want to go ahead with a smaller extent size or even consider partitioning your table - depending on what you expect to be doing with it.

You may or may not get chained rows. If you have a sufficiently large db_block_size (e.g., 22K), you won't have chaining. However, if you are using a smaller block size, you definitely WILL have chaining and there's nothing you can do about that.

However, if you use out-of-line CLOBs, then you will just have pointers in the table so row chaining should not occur. However, CLOBS will force you into more complex methods of loading/handling your data.