DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Instance

Red face

Hi All,
    I was wondering how many oracle instances can I have on a oracle NT server? In the event that I can have more than one oracle instance, is it possible to just rename/copy the control file I already have to a new ORACLE_SID name? How can I get a new control file for the new oracle instance?

Thanks,
    Dee.
    God Bless

You can have more than 1 instance on NT. No, you cannot use the controlfile of an existing db for another instance. You can use Database Assistant to create another instance. Specify the location of the controlfile in the init.ora for the new instance. When the db is created, it creates the controlfile in the the specified location.

You should have different control files (not a copy), configuration file(s), datafiles, logs and instance name. Just create new instance like you did with your existing instance on a box.

Sergey.

Hi,

I dont know the restriction of the number of instances you can have ( i have worked with 4 instances in 1 machine).

Regarding the control file ,you have to copy the init.ora file change the parameters as required( like database name ,location where the control files has to be created etc)

Then at the command prompt set the Oracle Sid to be pointing to the new sid

set ORACLE_SID=new_sid

Then issue the create database command which will create the controlfile for the new instance and also the req system and other datafies..

-Anand

I guess it's possible to have as many Instances as you have resources to run them... You can certainly have more than one (the most I've run on NT is about 5).

Unfortunately it's not just a case of renaming the control file!
    You need to create services for each database first... Then assuming you want to use the same data from an existing database, you would either need to create a new database and import the data... or I guess you could use the existing database files in a new location, and create a new control file for this database (where you would then point it to the new datafiles location, and rename the database) - oh, and don't forget you need a different pfile for each database with the correct db_name in.

Post up what you're trying to do, and a little more about the databases (e.g. SGA size etc), and your machine details (RAM size mainly).

Terry

wow.. 3 posts while I was typing that! Gotta be a record! :)

Talking Thanks All..

Hi All,
    Thank you very much for your prompt reply. That is the fastest help I have ever had in my IT career. This is the best forum in the world..

Thanks once again and God Bless.

Dee.
    God Bless