DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: sys connection without SYSDBA

sys connection without SYSDBA

I need to run an installer that connects to a database and creates objects, all the SQL involved is built into a binary file and I can't modify the connection string to add "as sysdba", it only allows to write the database name and the password for sys,
    My question is: may I change the database configuration to allow sys login not as sysdba?
    I use Oracle 9i over Win 2003 server.

Yet another devloper out there in need of SHOOTING!!
    I remember when this place was cool.

Re: sys connection without SYSDBA

Originally posted by maguila
    I need to run an installer that connects to a database and creates objects, all the SQL involved is built into a binary file and I can't modify the connection string to add "as sysdba", it only allows to write the database name and the password for sys,
    My question is: may I change the database configuration to allow sys login not as sysdba?
    I use Oracle 9i over Win 2003 server.
    What is this binary file and where is Hermosillo? Is that in Joisey?
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    Yet another devloper out there in need of SHOOTING!!
    Is comercial software not made by us, it used to work with previous versions of Oracle, my boss didn't renew the support contract and I must to solve all the issues with this software, now we need to upgrade the server and I need to run the server instalation of this application on Oracle 9i.

Is comercial software not made by us, it used to work with previous versions of Oracle, my boss didn't renew the support contract and I must to solve all the issues with this software, now we need to upgrade the server and I need to run the server instalation of this application on Oracle 9i.
    yes you can change it, but i dont recommend it

change the parameter O7_DICTIONARY_ACCESSIBILITY to true then restart, dont need to log in with sysdba then

or do it into an 8i db and import export whatever got done

Re: Re: sys connection without SYSDBA

Originally posted by stmontgo
    What is this binary file and where is Hermosillo? Is that in Joisey?
    Hermosillo is in Sonora and Sonora is in México

So you boss wants you to edit software that you did not design and that has not been approved for your current version of Oracle?
    Recipe for disaster, in my opinion.

Can you please tell me what company this is so I can avoid it like a plague?

You boss sounds like a real rocket scientist.
    I remember when this place was cool.

Originally posted by davey23uk

change the parameter O7_DICTIONARY_ACCESSIBILITY to true then restart, dont need to log in with sysdba then

Is just a testing environment.

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    So you boss wants you to edit software that you did not design and that has not been approved for your current version of Oracle?
    Recipe for disaster, in my opinion.

Can you please tell me what company this is so I can avoid it like a plague?

You boss sounds like a real rocket scientist.
    The company is working short of money, so they don't want to renew the support policy with the authors of this software.
    Last edited by maguila; 12-03-2004 at 10:56 AM.

Originally posted by davey23uk

I won't either. Setting that parameter to true might give you big problems ("you're owned... hacked").

Read this note in metalink: http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/...atabase_id=NOT

I've seen lot of databases where "normal" users have access to SYS objects. If you're using database links and have the SELECT ANY TABLE privilege just query the sys table LINK$ for some interesting information.

If this is something permanent you should look for another way to do it or just set the parameter, restart database, run the software, unset the parameter and restart the database.