DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: insert/update priv without direct access

insert/update priv without direct access

A user needs insert, update to a table column in my schema. However I donot want to give him the privelages directly. Someone mentioned to use profile to achieve DB Security. Can some give me a relevant link.
    Thanks.

looked up virtual private database or fgac.

but whats wrong with granting insert on the table to him or to a role?

Re: insert/update priv without direct access

Originally posted by Natik
    A user needs insert, update to a table column in my schema.
    There is no such thing as "having INSERT privilege on a COLUMN". It's the whole row or nothing, you can't have insert privilege only on a specific columns (as you can have with UPDATE). If you need to limit someone to write only into certan columns of a table you need to create a view on that table with only those specific columns and grant the insert privilege on that view.

And forget about using database profiles for what you are asking here - profiles have nothing to do with this whatsoever.

Also, VPD (aka FGAC) as suggested by davey23uk can not help you here. VPD limits the access to a table/view "horizontaly", while you are trying to limit acces "verticaly".

But as davey23uk said: what's the reason you don't want to grant him/here the privileges on that table?
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

You can create a procedure that insert/update the table in your schema and grant execute to the user that you want to have an indirect access.

Rather than complicating the things with procedures it is better to create a simple view with only those columns and grant the required privileges as suggested by jurig

Originally posted by akhadar
    Rather than complicating the things with procedures it is better to create a simple view with only those columns and grant the required privileges as suggested by jurig
    I didn't negate what JModic says, the alternative that I've made will works fine with the same intention as for the VIEW was intended. The only "complicating" that you mentioned is for somebody who is not used to do with such approach.

It works fine for me 'cause I have scripts that generates scripts for TABLES/VIEWS privs grants to users/roles. And that if this became a VIEW then this will "complicate" my way of doing things too.

I have the same scenario with this before, and it works fine for me.