DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN: partial recovery of partioned tables

Hybrid View

RMAN: partial recovery of partioned tables

Hi,

I'm using Oracle 9.2.0.5 an would like to make a partial copy (not duplicating all tablespaces) of my database using the SKIP feature of RMAN DUPLICATE.

The problem is that I got a partitioned table tab1 having the partition part1 on tablespace tbs1 and a second partition part2 on tablespace tbs2.

What I would like to do is to make a recovery/duplicate of my DB. I want to duplicate only the tablespace SYSTEM and the tablespace tbs1.

Will this be possible or will oracle have any problem because I do not include all partitions of tab1. Will there be any problem when RMAN will try to drop the not recoverd/duplicated tablespace tbs2 because it inlcudes some partitions of the table tab1?

If someone has any experience in this area I would be gratefull to get any feedback

Mike

You have to include at least SYSTEM, Rollback (UNDO) tablespace.
    In addition u can include any tablespace u want and rman would not care about contents of those tablespaces. It is up to you to come up with the tablespaces's list that u need to restore in order to have objects ( tables, partitions,indexes,etc) that you are looking for.
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

Hi BV1963,

Thanks for your reply.

What you say is what the documentations say, unfortunatly I found out that the documentation is wrong. RMAN fails to duplicate a DB if you skip a tablespace containting partitions of a table which also have partitions located in other tablesapces.

In case you should realy have been able to duplicate a DB via RMAN and skip a tablespace containting a partition of a partitioned table, I would be glade if you could explain me step by step how you did it.

I could not do it using dublicate functionality, but I have done it using regular restore. What I have done was first restore controlfile, and then restore tablespace system, tablespace RBS, tablespace TBS ,etc. Once they have been restored just rebuild controlfile using datafiles which u need to be part of the DB.

It is probably not the best way to do it, but this was the only one I used myself.
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

Hi BV1963,

Thanks for your quick feedback.

Just to be sure, in your case you also had partitioned tables spread over several tablespaces and you did not recover/copie all of the tablespace but only some of them containing partitions of this table.
    Which means once the database was up and running you had some partitions of a table which didn't exist any more.

How did you drop the partitions which had an invalid status?

"I have done it using regular restore" was this the regular restore of RMAN?
    Last edited by mike9; 12-03-2004 at 05:41 AM.

Rather than rely on a response, you could try it yourself. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to simulate this. Create a tiny database, partition a table across tablespaces; back it up, wipe it out and restore what you need. How difficult is that?

I did not have partitioned tables to worry about, but I would think that you just have to drop the partiotions you are not interested in.

Under regular restore I meant all the steps necessary to restore the database, such as restore controlfile, restore system tablespace, restore RBS or UNDO tablespace ,etc.

By the way, read up on transportable tablespaces. It might be an easier alternative.

Rather than rely on a response, you could try it yourself. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to simulate this. Create a tiny database, partition a table across tablespaces; back it up, wipe it out and restore what you need. How difficult is that?
    I'm not a DBA but a developer so I don't have the required privileges to do it. Also could you please explain me what's the goal of a forum?

By the way, read up on transportable tablespaces. It might be an easier alternative.
    As I see you never tried out nor read the documentation of this feature in relation with partitions.